chicken thieves about.BEWARE

Advertise your wish list or stock for sale here.
Forum rules
Please put 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' in your title and your location if you are selling to help people search.
E.g. For Sale - Orpington Growers - Bedfordshire
Margaid
Part of the Flock

Re: chicken thieves about.BEWARE

Post by Margaid » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:03 pm

I bought my Welsummers at the Rare and Pure Breed Poultry Auction at Oswestry, but as all the birds for sale were "graded" by two judges from the Poultry Club of Great Britain, and the vendor's name was listed in the catalogue one assumes that everything was hunky dory. I wouldn't do it again though - I already know where I'm going to buy my next hens, 2 Exchequer Leghorns and 2 Welsh Blacks (not a recognised breed but they suit my requirements) and I've also been in touch with a Welsummer breeder about a cockerel from a dark egg laying strain.

I think what happens is the people go to an auction for fun and get carried away - not just for poultry either. I've learnt a great deal from the forum about what, and what not, to do.
daniellesdogs
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by daniellesdogs » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:29 am

hope you dont mind but hoping as might help a fue people you wont :)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/ ... 851600667/
its a group on facebook that people put up what been stolen in the south so can support each other by keeping eye out at auction and forums :)
lewisdale
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by lewisdale » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:06 pm

This post has been deleted as it contained a racist comment which is not tolerated on this Forum.
(Marigold, Forum Moderator.)
Last edited by Marigold on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Racist comment, deleted by moderator.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 am

Don't think it helps the situation blaming any particular group as that doesn't stop the problem. The arrival of mimimum wage workforce at the local Argos superstore, then the Bombardier servicing area brought a lot of crime into our old area. So did the ever increasing number of near derelict narrow boats cruising about looking for stuff to steal and the increasing number of scrap merchants travelling the streets looking for metal. Just have to lock your coops and add security to the perimeter. I was always surprised our coops weren't stolen after our rotorvator went. The coops are worth far more than the chickens in them. Anything not nailed down went. Neighbour had one sheep from the flock of 6 stolen. It must have been picked up and carried over the fence as the gate was locked. One of the main reasons we emigrated.
swamperkk
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by swamperkk » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:30 pm

i never had that happen before yet,but i also have a hot wire around my chicken coop to prevent dogs,cat,racoons and other animals out,if i do catch any two leger wanting to steal my birds,i have bird shot that will hurt for a while,then i will call the cops about theives breaking in,hope that never happens
Eris
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Eris » Mon May 14, 2018 9:45 am

Just to give a quick warning that a friend had a red saddled yokohama cock stolen two weeks ago. She is near Tonbridge Kent.

Return to “Chickens For Sale or Wanted”