Newbie - Chicken coop and run advice please?!

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

bigyetiman

Re: Newbie - Chicken coop and run advice please?!

Post by bigyetiman »

Good luck also, hope rain doesn't stop play today
PageMossFarm
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by PageMossFarm »

Made a start today, built the coop and started the run 👍🏻🐓🥚
Attachments
3CD7B5A4-E717-47BE-9F6A-89E49D022B52.jpeg
3CD7B5A4-E717-47BE-9F6A-89E49D022B52.jpeg (58 KiB) Viewed 109 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Great work, Gareth! Keep us posted!
tomdhu
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by tomdhu »

Margaid wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:22 pm
It also means you can use a smaller mesh size. if I remember from looking at the big run you posted the squares were 20mm which certainly won't keep mice out but not sure about rats.
20mm will certainly keep rats out. The other strategy is to work on getting at them before they gain entry. A well placed box tunnel with aa trap in the middle and feathers every side of the trap is a great way of trapping them because they associate feathers with chicken food and they love tunnelling as they feel safe in a tunnel. The feather also disguise the trap. We use the green tunnels and Fenn traps like these
from https://www.trapbarn.com/product/quill ... enn-mark4/
They are a bit pricey but certainly worth it.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Hi tomdhu, and welcome to the Forum.
I looked at the link to the traps you recommended, and was concerned that it says
“ Vermin are only trapped by the head or neck resulting in rapid and humane dispatch.”

Our garden attracts a constant procession of hedgehogs; two nights ago I set the night vision camera and recorded 10 activations at their food and water bowls, between 9.45 p.m. and 1.30, when the food ran out. I wouldn’t want to use a trap which would also threaten hedgehogs. When we built our run 10 years ago we lined the floor with 1/2” galvanised mesh, covered with weedproof membrane, and wired it to the walls to make a secure box construction. We do get rats nests in the garden sometimes, as we live near grain barns and the rats migrate in the winter when these are empty, but recent inspection of the ground mesh when I was having a good clean-up proved that it was still intact and nothing had got in to the run in all those years. I think this is a much better way to keep rats out, although I do understand that in some settings more drastic control measures would be needed.

I’m not against killing rats, it’s the collateral damage that worries me! Poison is equally problematic, for the same reason.

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”