Reasons to be cheerful

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
MrsBiscuit

Reasons to be cheerful

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Alongside our lovely photo thread I thought I'd start a thread of happy things we might have all been doing/seeing/hearing to cheer ourselves up. We live in a remote hamlet, so not much happens at the best of times, but things which have brought a smile to my face in the last 24 hours include:

a) discovering some excellent gardening blogs and spending hours reading them, including gardeners in Portugal
b) playing with the cat and next door's dog
c) doing a tour of the garden since we have been away for 4 days. In that time various plants are either in fat bud or actual bloom, including lilac, the very first jasmine, iris and masses of marigolds in various hybridised permutations of orange and yellow, plus osteospermums
d) the broad beans I planted in the autumn have got little pods on them already. Give it a couple of weeks!
e) but the best thing was seeing a couple of swifts yesterday swooping over a large puddle in the garden, it was so unexpected
Marigold

Re: Reasons to be cheerful

Post by Marigold »

Agree with you totally. Went out round the estate today with Poppy as it is drizzling and it was just so very quiet. Normally you can hear the distant hum of the A34 across the valley but today it's like Christmas Day. Robin is building in the pyracantha and blackbird in the viburnum tinus. We have put up our new mason bee box and are checking daily for occupants.

I just loved this one! Sounds as if light is slowly dawning in his tiny brain.
FDF01B19-B49E-43AB-844D-20579A0F83F4.jpeg
FDF01B19-B49E-43AB-844D-20579A0F83F4.jpeg (136.21 KiB) Viewed 151 times
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Watching the Barn owls last night, that silent, ghostly flight is amazing and when one flew by close, you looked into the eyes and entered another world.
Two Wood Mice feeding happily in the bird feeder, they run up a hawthorn branch and into the feeder.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Daffodils! There's a long private drive up to the woods where I walk to the forest and the whole side of the road is covered in daffodils. Not only that, it is also lined with linden trees (lime). In June, the aroma is magnificent, you can also hear the bees buzzing from more than quarter mile away. Each and every day I walk, I never tire of the scenery.

Right in the middle of the woods, someone has had a bench fixed at the bottom of a hill. That person who passed must have loved it there. Every Fathers Day, Birthday, Christmas, there's always a wreath put on the bench and removed a few weeks later. Had to post it, my eyes well up every time I see it.

Enscribed: "Softly the leaves of memories fall, sit for a while and gather them all"
Attachments
Bench1 - Edited.jpg
Bench1 - Edited.jpg (101.67 KiB) Viewed 129 times
Bench2 - Edited.jpg
Bench2 - Edited.jpg (151.95 KiB) Viewed 129 times
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Its things like this that make you stop and think. We may not all be here at the end of this.

Do you have a pic with the daffs? Today is my wedding anniversary, and being of Welsh descent my bouquet was made up of daffs.

Lime blossom is probably my favourite smell in the whole world.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

It's neither windy nor raining here (at the moment)! So, I'm off for a walk, before the hordes come out. :)
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

I had the opportunity to go for a kayak paddle on the river this morning. It was a beautiful crisp & sunny morning. Just what I needed.

Now for a bit of variety I need to get the chainsaw out & take down a dead tree before anything starts nesting in the surrounding leylandii.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Poppy sitting in our little Spring meadow this morning.
48F483E2-145A-4552-86E0-BDE3AD5AAB5D.jpeg
48F483E2-145A-4552-86E0-BDE3AD5AAB5D.jpeg (222.81 KiB) Viewed 102 times
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

That's so pretty, and it looks so right with the mature planting as a backdrop. Make sure she doesn't sit on the fritillary!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Marigold, I just love those blue flowers, what are they? I need some of those. Your garden looks beautiful. My lithodora has flowered all year round, even in winter Ive had 5 or 6 flowers, incredible! Wallflowers have been in flower for a month or so now. I love flowers.

Mrs Biscuit, I found an old pic I took of the daffodils 2 years ago and an old pic I took of the same spot at the top of the hill. Its always deserted so I can capture a new pic tomorrow as the daffs look gorgeous...
Attachments
Daffodils - Edited.jpg
Daffodils - Edited.jpg (93.42 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Topofthehill - Edited.jpg
Topofthehill - Edited.jpg (154.71 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Return to “The Dustbath”