Cheery Pics

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Icemaiden

Re: Cheery Pics

Post by Icemaiden »

Giant Hogweed is evil stuff, with jagged edged leaves, hollow stems & in a month or so large heads of little white flowers. The leaves & sap make your skin "allergic" to sunlight for months and months.

It often grows along river banks, as the seeds are carried by the water. It's a notifiable weed; it's illegal to allow it to set seed on your land. It almost makes Donald Trump look sweet and reasonable...
Last edited by Icemaiden on Sat May 23, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

It's apparently flowering early this year and the volunteer groups etc have not been able to go out and kill it.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Tweetypie wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:52 pm
Now I have googled the Gunnera, I can safely say to my ignorant husband it is NOT rhubarb!! :-) We see quite a lot near the streams when out walking! The dreaded giant hogweed is out in force, too. My favourite huge plant is the echium. I also saw one of those last year, but had no idea what it was until I saw someone post a pic on Facebook. It was absolutely monstrous. Good for bees, apparently.

Mrs Biscuit - a nightjar. The last time I saw one of those I was about 11 or 12 years old, that summer there was a drought (1976)?. Not sure how it came inland to get tar on its wings, but it was grounded. Took me ages to get it off and set it on its' way. Unusual birds.

PS The moss is probably due to cutting the lawn short and those nasty bugs that eat the grass roots. Doesn't drain well, either.
An echium turned up in my chicken pen last year, and this year, shot to it's full height (not sure how high it is, but at least 12 feet, I would guess) and flowered. Nobody around here has them growing, so I think seed was pooped out by a passing bird, as there are some echium growing wild in the village, about 5km away. Everyone is saying "kill it! they self seed!" but I just think, well, it's not like I don't have the space. And a local beekeeper has asked me to save some seed for him, as he's been wanting some on his place.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Bees love echium - there is a mini version called blue bedder which you can plant in the border, about 6 inches high from memory. It is a lovely plant, from a lovely family. Echiums need good sun and good drainage, and I wouldn't class them as a weed at all.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

MrsBiscuit wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:55 pm
Bees love echium - there is a mini version called blue bedder which you can plant in the border, about 6 inches high from memory. It is a lovely plant, from a lovely family. Echiums need good sun and good drainage, and I wouldn't class them as a weed at all.
The garden centres obviously don't at the price they charge for them!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

LadyA how lucky you had the echium appear in your grounds! As Margaid stated, the garden centres know how to charge for them! I don't understand why people dislike them. They're magnificent.

Well, I know I planted a few more bits and bobs in the front garden border, but I am struggling to identify a weed from a flower,so will have to wait and see. I usually use the plantnet app, on my mobile phone to identify species. One of the unidentifiable plants comes up as "pigweed". I am sooo disappointed, I thought these plants looked as though I had strategically planted them in order. I pulled one up and there was no bulb, which was suspect, as I know I only planted bulbs this year. Never mind.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

So much for seeing what's coming :lol:
Attachments
covidfun.jpg
covidfun.jpg (81.81 KiB) Viewed 10 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Wonderful! I love that!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Fantastic :-)08 :-)08 :-)08 :-)08
Reminded me of the time I unwittingly offered to help OH who was "manning" a stall for the RSPB at a country fair.
We got there to set up and opposite was a small tent set up with the banner "Psychic Sue, Clairvoyant," Let me predict your future etc and so forth
She was suitably dressed in lots of floaty scarves, including one tied around her head.
She watched us putting up our tent and the banner which read "RSPB For Birds, For Wildlife, Forever" and came over and said "what do you do"?
To which Les on the stall said "not very good is she", which put OH into a fit of the giggles, which wasn't helped by someone setting up the stall next to her which was an Indian mystic who proclaimed to see the future. Which sent her scurrying off to complain to someone.
Further quip from Les, " she should have seen that coming"
The whole day just carried on in that vein. Not helped by a very strange man next to us working for the badger trust who had a puppet badger on his hand, and kept coming over to ask OH if she would like to stroke his badger, all the children love stroking it. Very odd.
An announcer over the tannoy who was woefully equipped to do the job. For instance "Don't miss at 11am Ozzie Mick shearing some sheep, not sure if he will be shearing them again in the afternoon" :-)19 :-)19 .
The piece de resistance was the couple who came up to OH and said
"we have a robin nesting in our BBQ, what shall we do"
OH dead straight face "don't light it"
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

A joy to read. If I had encountered all things you have I’d walk about with a permanent grin.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm

Return to “The Dustbath”