Why I don't keep a cockerel.

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Marigold

Why I don't keep a cockerel.

Post by Marigold »

See https://youtu.be/KAgqyz7DC7w
There are quite a few videos of Kyle on Youtube, all similar, - he just doesn't appear to understand English.
Tweetypie

Re: Why I don't keep a cockerel.

Post by Tweetypie »

:-)10 :-)10 :-)10 That made me laugh outloud
rick

Post by rick »

Stop calling me Kyle! My name's Herbert!
I kept expecting the phone to go flying and cut out :D
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

I had a Welsummer cockerel and 4 Welsummer hens with the idea of breeding replacements. Unfortunately life didn't work out like that but that is a different story...

At one point I wouldn't go in the run - approx 80 sq metres as it was enclosed with 100 metres of electric netting, without taking a stick with me. I only had them for one spring but he became really aggressive towards me although I was very careful not to get between him and the girls. More than once I had to defend myself with my feet as he would fly up at me - nearly got a spur in my knee on one occasion. Another time I was bending over filling the feeder and he leapt at my rear end. Threats of "You'll be Coq-au Vin if you don't stop this "didn't seem to work, but swinging the stick as I walked in made him back off enough so that I couldsort out food and water and poo pick in the hen house
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

The joys of keeping a flock! No wonder it didn't last very long for you.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Ah not, that was because (1) I lost all the Welsummer hens to a mink attack and (2) I found I was restricting my house hunting trying to find somewhere I could keep hens who had always free-ranged. A couple of ladies in the reading group I attended took the birds - one the hens and the other the cockerel. Chris Mahon had the Solway coop and Jenwhen from the other forum had the two wooden houses.

When life finally gets back on an even keel I'll think about it again - after all, Cyril Bason's shop is only about 400 yards away. Don't know what the cats would make of free ranging hens though so I may have some of Jenwhen's Poland bantams because I have room for an enclosure for them.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

PS. The mink also had a go at the cockerel - I was there and heard the commotion but couldn't see what was going on in the ditch. He reappeared a while later with quite a few tail feathers missing and it was 10 days before he started to crow again. The Legbars were well camouflaged among the shrubs and bushes near the stream bank and I suspect the Leghorns just took off. None of them would go near the stream after that.
Shadrach
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Shadrach »

So much misinformation and ignorance about roosters on many of the forums.
I've got 7 males here atm. I would never consider keeping chickens without roosters.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Ah, but don't forget the restrictions many people live with, in terms of local laws about keeping cockerals, and in terms of consideration for/complaints from neighbours. I have kept flocks with and without males, and whilst I would always choose to have a cockeral, I haven't always had the luxury of choice. Plus I have been lucky, I have only ever had one slightly boisterous male.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

If you only had room for 3-5 hens and wanted eggs, you might think differently about adding another useless bird, Shadrach, however friendly. If you had one like the bird in the video, what would you do with it?
Good to hear fro you again, anyway. How is your flock doing?

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”