Batten down the hatches

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
rick

Batten down the hatches

Post by rick »

Apparently we are about to be visited by a giant chicken!
Henrietta.jpg
Henrietta.jpg (45.23 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Icemaiden

Re: Batten down the hatches

Post by Icemaiden »

It does rather look like it! What's she been eating though, to have such a dreadful case of wind? :-)
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

O M G no wonder our human is busy putting planters in safe corners.
Plan A girls, sit in big coop all day and insist on food being brought in, if we can manage a terrified look we could get extra treats.
Stay safe everyone, fingers crossed
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

OH and I are awaiting the aftermath of this storm, so we can gather more wood for the wood burner from the fallen trees in the woods. Good to stock up whilst you can ;-) I bought him a Greenworks battery operated chainsaw last year for his Birthday. Hardly makes any noise, therefore doesn't attract attention and cuts amazingly well, even 10 inch diameter trees.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

Tweetypie: please, please don't let him cut anything that's still attached to a wind blown tree. The tension & compression in the tree can be really dangerous...

I'm qualified to cut down trees up to 38cm in diameter but tackling trees blown over by the wind is a whole different ballgame and still well beyond my qualifications. Until I started training, I never realised...
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Oh, how I do hate these storms! We have an "orange" warning in place, and it's quite fierce out there since yesterday. I've not let the hens out of the run this morning, although they usually prefer to go out, and hunker down in a low lying corner of the pen, but tbh, I haven't stuck my nose outside the door yet. I'm in two minds about whether to let them out at all or not.
I hate it, but I do know I've a lot to be thankful for. My house is warm and dry, and I don't actually have to go anywhere today. For the next few days, they are forecasting bitter cold with "significant" wind chill, which I'm not looking forward to at all!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Icemaiden - we only take the fallen ones, usually useless trunks left by the foresters with no purpose for BT or wood Companies, been doing it for years. Won't be doing it until the weather is nice and calm again :-)

Its really windy, the girls are sat under their coop. Might treat them to some warm scrambled egg later to cheer them up.
Hope there's no serious accidents today around the globe.

OMG just editing my post. The lovely tree that shades the corner of the run has snapped and fallen over. Luckily missed the coop by 2 foot :o Poor girls, bet that frightened them. Actually the tree was a rotten dead damson, but was covered in ivy, so always shaded that area and looked beautiful. OH gone out in the storm to remove it. Before and after, such a pity.
Attachments
Fallentree9Feb20 - Edited.jpg
Fallentree9Feb20 - Edited.jpg (94.62 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Last edited by Tweetypie on Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

OMG lucky escape for your girls, but scary. Ours are in the big coop, they were slightly upset not to be let out then the huge gusts started and one went into orbit and ended up against the wire, and decided indoors is fine. But did find a large piece of metal of sheeting on the lawn from somewhere, which could have caused a nasty injury if I had been out at the time.
The noise is terrible, and the electric wires are holding at the moment
Locally the Cliffs Pavilion at Southend has lost part of it's roof.
it is quite scary on a double decker bus at the moment I can tell you.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Stay safe all of you, it sounds awful.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Winds starting to die down now to 40mph gusts. Hens coops and runs all ok, a few of the new girls got freaked out and took themselves into the laying boxes for the day.
No trees down as yet, our neighbour lost 15ft of a cow shed roof, so a rush to move cows and calves to another luckily empty area with just straw stacked at one end.
I had quite a peaceful day as most people resisted the urge to go shopping and stayed indoors.
Hope everyone else came through it unscathed, especially any Welsh members, you really seemed to have got the lot with the wind and torrential rain

Return to “The Dustbath”