Re: Weather

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

Re: Weather

Post by LadyA » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:35 am

So, how's everyone coping with weather? From what I see on t'interwebs, the UK seems to be getting quite extreme weather? Floods, and now a blast of cold?

Here, November was the wettest for decades, but around here anyway, we had no floods. This morning is frosty, but not too bad. We've had some really mild days too. I'm hoping we escape without it getting too much colder. I don't like driving on icy roads, but I go to check on mum every day, and that's half an hour each way, on mostly country roads that wouldn't recognise a gritter if it came along.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Margaid

Re: Re: Weather

Post by Margaid » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:41 pm

A couple of roads round here flood with run-off from the fields so it all gets horribly muddy but otherwise doesn't affect me although the water meadows the other side of the small river have flooded three times - but that's what they're for! Three nights of frost, last night the worst but frost has gone from the grass now as uniformly grey cloud. Yesterday the frost remained all day where it was out of the sun. Fortunately the country roads I have to use lead to primary schools so they are gritted.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:14 pm

Just had two really frosty days, which has been a relief from the continual greyness and drizzle. Luckily we have missed the worst of the rain and hens are happily running about and sitting in sunny spots
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:30 pm

This is interesting, from the Met. Office. Shetland seems to have come out well this year on several counts, eg sunshine hours.
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/p ... mber-stats
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:07 am

Psst. Don’t tell everyone. They’ll all be wanting to move here.

But more seriously once the Greenland ice sheets really start melting they will prevent the Gulf Stream getting through and winters here will be very cold. Hopefully I’ll have snuffed it before then 😀
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:45 pm

That's the spirit, look on the bright side :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:02 pm

bigyetiman wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:45 pm
That's the spirit, look on the bright side :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now then boyo. For those of us of a religious persuasion, I am!😀