How to make an entrance

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

How to make an entrance

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:33 pm

OH has a passion for sailing ships, her maternal grandads family were sailors going back generations, and one nice thing about being near the Thames we can get down to see anything interesting coming up. OH was sorting through some pics and thought you may like to see this pic of ARC Gloria the flagship of the Columbian navy visiting London, this is her preparing to go through Tower Bridge. The sailors were all singing the national anthem and the ships Labrador was on the bowsprit, hidden from view in this pic
Attachments
ARC Gloria, Colombia.JPG
ARC Gloria, Colombia.JPG (88.48 KiB) Viewed 142 times
Marigold

Re: How to make an entrance

Post by Marigold » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:42 pm

How beautiful. Has OH ever sailed on one?
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Oh yes, Oosterschelde, Wylde Swan, Loth Lorien. Stad Amsterdam. Me to on Loth Lorien and Wylde Swan will look out some pics
Whilst we were waiting for her, OH being the chatty kind started talking to the man next to her who was Columbian and was talking about the traditional Colombian hat he was wearing, and we ended up being invited onto Gloria for an official reception as he was the Colombian ambassador to the UK. Inside all the steps have Gloria in brass on all the risers.
She does have a knack with chatting up sailors, when BAP Union (Peru) and Cisne Branco (Brazil) visited London they were in West India dock and not open to the public. But she started chatting to the them and next thing we are on a guided tour.
Best port entrance Cuauhtémoc (Mexico), ARA Libertad (Argentina) that have cannons and fire them on arrival. Tarangini (India) who have crew on deck dancing
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 pm

How lovely. We have seen similar in the harbours of Whitby and Eyemouth but can't remember their names offhand. I also come from a line of mariners, including my Dad.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:05 am

We both love Whitby. I know Atyla a Spanish ship is a regular to Whitby.
Here are a couple we have been on, it's hard work but great fun, and we both love a rough sea
Attachments
Stad Amsterdam Gravesend 2016.JPG
Stad Amsterdam Gravesend 2016.JPG (87.65 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Wylde Swan Falmouth.jpg
Wylde Swan Falmouth.jpg (41.48 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Oosterschelde Topsail Schooner Sunderland 2018.JPG
Oosterschelde Topsail Schooner Sunderland 2018.JPG (48.33 KiB) Viewed 113 times
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:36 pm

Wow, great stuff! Remembered the one at Whitby was the Grand Turk:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/57/95/d5 ... e17797.jpg

And this is the Tres Hombres that we saw in Eyemouth:

https://www.itv.com/news/border/update/ ... argo-ship/
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:40 pm

You are one up on OH she hasn't seen Tres Hombres yet. The Grand Turk was in West India dock for a while after she was HMS Indefatigable in the TV series Hornblower. She now has new owners and is called Etoile Du Roi. With a bit of luck Tres Hombres may go to Sail Amsterdam next year.
had a couple of day sails on Thames barges also.
Considering the limited space the food on all ships has been fantastic. Seen amazing sunsets, whales breaching at dawn whilst at the helm. Oosterschelde is a real lady of the oceans and circumnavigates the globe regularly, and often spends the winter months in Antarctica.
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:37 pm

We were very lucky to see Tres Hombres. We just happened to be staying in a fishermans' cottage in Burnmouth near Eyemouth as we love harbour/ coastal towns and went to have a look on the Sunday, and there she was, unloading. We were thrilled and watched for quite a while. I have my own photos but they're on my old computer so not easy to get.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 am

It is lovely it is a completely eco friendly boat, trading in the old way. A Dutch ship De Gallant also does some trade this way. A replica of the Cutty Sark is currently in production, can't wait to see that sailing. OH's grandad actually saw the original on one of her last ever runs, and it was the highlight of his sailing career. He ran away to see when he was fourteen as he didn't want to take over the family pub, his father was an ex sailor but didn't want him to go to sea. A case of, if the salt water is in your veins, it's the seafaring life for you. It was Royal Navy in WW1. Merchant Navy in WW2
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:23 pm

My family, the Fairhalls, originated in Sussex and were master mariners in the 18th and 19th centuries. Ancestors also include a few smugglers including Lucky Dick Ovenden. (Lucky, allegedly because he didn't get caught). It skipped a few generations but both my father and his elder brother joined the RN. Dad was in for over 25 years. It's definitely in the blood.

Return to “The Dustbath”