Heartwarming stories

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Marigold

Heartwarming stories

Post by Marigold » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:12 pm

Here's a new thread, to counterbalance the one about human stupidity. This lad was lucky the mobile phone had reception, in a dark mountain area with his injured mum. What a dilemma for the father, left looking after the other two little children, whilst his son tried to help.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ntain-fall
Tweetypie

Re: Heartwarming stories

Post by Tweetypie » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:02 pm

I read that this afternoon, such a brave boy, but had I been his Father, I don't know if I would have let him go down the mountain, I would have probably gotten him to look after the other two...such a dilemma for him, but one which had a positive outcome, thank goodness. I guess one never knows how one would react until faced with a situation like that.
If people are talking behind your back, then just fart. :-)10
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by dianefairhall » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:34 pm

Well, it worked out OK in the end but you have to question why the adults took three children of 5, 9 and 10 up a 3000 foot mountain in October when it gets dark at 7pm.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm

And this is one for HenGen.
How did you get on at those sheepdog trials you were going to judge, HG?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... in-the-fog
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:57 pm

Marigold wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm
And this is one for HenGen.
How did you get on at those sheepdog trials you were going to judge, HG?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... in-the-fog
Steward, not judge. Yes it went fine. It was good seeing a three legged dog working. And one that was so useless that someone’s pet Lhasa Apso could have bettered it.
But the standard among the better competitors was high and the winner was almost faultless.
Enjoyed the article because before moving here I lived for 25 years in Castleton which is just over the ridge from Edale. And as a young man I used to grouse beat on the moors. Certainly walked a lot on Kinder Scout which is a huge area of peat and blanket bog. No place for man nor sheep.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:46 pm

That story could have ended very badly. at least the young lad kept a cool head. Well done to mountain rescue who freely give their time to rescue man and beast.
Glad your stewarding went well, a three legged working dog, that's a first. the useless one reminded me of a neighbour who replaced an ageing sheepdog with a young Border Collie who's idea was to round people up rather than sheep, it was brilliant at that, totally useless with sheep, it was hilarious
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:38 am

bigyetiman wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:46 pm
That story could have ended very badly. at least the young lad kept a cool head. Well done to mountain rescue who freely give their time to rescue man and beast.
Glad your stewarding went well, a three legged working dog, that's a first. the useless one reminded me of a neighbour who replaced an ageing sheepdog with a young Border Collie who's idea was to round people up rather than sheep, it was brilliant at that, totally useless with sheep, it was hilarious
I had a collie x pup for about three weeks a few years ago. This trying to herd me drove me nuts. He was also trying to herd any other animals he met, and their owners! Such a very intelligent dog, I returned him to the rescue, because I was utterly exhausted, and he was bored with just one middle aged lady for company. I could see he needed a family and preferably another dog for company. And that's what he got! My son in law came across him one day when doing work for a family. :)
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:55 am

My friends dog was the same, getting through the gate was an expedition as it constantly rounded you up. She went back to the farm where she came from and is still there, as the children's dog rather than working

Return to “The Dustbath”