Pullet eggs

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

Marigold

Pullet eggs

Post by Marigold » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Hen-Gen

Re: Pullet eggs

Post by Hen-Gen » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Totally agree, Marigold.
But what’s this technological advance that allows eggs to be sexed?
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:06 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -in-berlin
I think this was posted some time ago. Sounds a really good idea for all concerned!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:49 am

Thanks for that. I guess it’s that old abortion debate but in chickens ie when does life begin.
The different methods of killing male chicks is interesting. Leaving aside human squeamishness I would consider being fed live into a shredding machine as more humane than being gassed.
Shadrach
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Shadrach » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Such a shame the whole business in my opinion.
Statistically the hatch ratio of males to females is 50/50.
The jungle fowl, all four varieties I believe, live in small family groups, much like humans and many other creatures. A common arrangement is one senior rooster, his hen and possibly their offspring one generation down.
Unfortunately, because of human exploitation and the demand for eggs it has now become common for people to keep one rooster for up to ten or more hens. This is a completely unnatural arrangement and those excess roosters that nature has carefully arranged to suit the chickens natural living arrangements are no longer required.
What would help enormously is if we could persuade chicken keepers that an arrangement that works better for the chickens and still provides us with eggs is one rooster for three hens. This could save a lot of male lives.
I keep up to five free range Tribes here with this arrangement and this allows me to have up to ten roosters/cockerels at any one time.
I get more eggs than I can healthily eat (I would probably get enough eggs with two hens for most of the year) and the chickens live lives closer to their ancestors.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Ideal, I agree, in your setup, Shadrach, but 'Up to 10 roosters' (or even one) wouldn't be welcome in the average suburban back garden!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:38 pm

Interesting Shadrach. I might try that next year ie one cockerel to three hens using brothers.

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”