What an Honour

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen

What an Honour

Post by Hen-Gen »

Mystifies me but I’ve been invited to be the time keeper in the forthcoming Fetlar Sheepdog Trials. This is the local equivalent of receiving an OBE. Problem is that if I make any mistake it will go down in local folklore for way beyond my lifetime. It was sold to me as “you get a free fish and chips lunch”. How could I refuse!
Being gay is an irrelevance. Being English is an impediment. I’d better not tell them I eat hummus!
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
Marigold

Re: What an Honour

Post by Marigold »

Congratulations! An honour indeed. What does your dog think of your promotion?
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

It’s a bit discourteous to refer to him as my dog!
Oh, sorry, you mean my real dog? It will probably stay at home on it’s satin cushion eating Maltesers.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

In that case, I hope the event will be televised for him to enjoy.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Hen-Gen wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:53 pm
Oh, sorry, you mean my real dog? It will probably stay at home on it’s satin cushion eating Maltesers.
And laughing at peasant dogs that have to work for a living?!

It is an honour to be asked to do something like that though, isn't it?! Of course, it brings to mind that episode of All Creatures Great & Small, where James Herriot was asked to do duty at the local Show. :lol: Best of luck with it!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

We had a friend round to dinner the other night and he came with his 9 month old cross breed dog. He said she was a cross between the local sheep/goat guarding breed, and the same kind of animal from the next region. Frankly she looks nothing like either, and she is a blue merle, which I haven't seen here before, although grey is one of the recognised colours, and she looked a bit like a young blue heeler. Anyway, she made me think of your dog! It turns out the Mum is due another litter soon but I can't quite face training such an active breed after my experience with a young pointer earlier this year. Good Luck with the Trials, and congratulations! I wouldn't have thought I would happily sit and watch One Man and His Dog (I hope its actually called One Person and A Dog or something by now) but I do. Just don't let any competitor overhear anything you might say about them/their dog to anybody else. I still haven't forgiven an egg show judge who wasn't actually judging that day but still called my eggs overweight (by sight). Luckily I had my rosette by then, but she is still on my hit list. And they weren't!

Will you be taking triple timekeeping apparatus, just in case?!
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Sounds a fabulous but slightly scary opportunity Hen-Gen! Well done! Hope it stays dry for the trials.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Thank you kindly and yes, it is a bit scary. But in this community we all have to put ourselves out there.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Scary, but an honour, still could be worse you could be judging a children's fancy dress, and dealing with enraged parents
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

bigyetiman wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:52 am
Scary, but an honour, still could be worse you could be judging a children's fancy dress, and dealing with enraged parents
:lol: :lol: :-)10 :-)10 :-)10

Return to “The Dustbath”