Butterfly/moth identification

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Tweetypie

Butterfly/moth identification

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:30 am

I don't have a photo, unfortunately, but saw a blood red, small butterfly or moth in my garden yesterday. The shape of the wings were butterfly style. No other markings. I would say it was only an inch in size. The odd thing is, when walking in the forest last night, my husband spotted another one! It didn't settle on any plant to photograph. Ive googled, but the only one like it is the Glider butterfly, which is not native. Anyone know what it could be? It was pillarbox red.
Marigold

Re: Butterfly/moth identification

Post by Marigold » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:02 pm

MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Thats the first thing which occurred to me too. Let us know!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:18 pm

No, I looked at that one in google. It's all red, no other colour and it's wings were shaped like a butterfly. I hope I see it again. It was the most unusual thing ive seen, because of the colour.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:52 pm

It's possible it was a rare variation of the cinnabar moth, see https://alchetron.com/Cinnabar-moth as some of them have much more red on the forewings than is normal. As this article says, 'There is little variation although on rare occasions the pinkish markings are replaced with yellow, or the forewing is red with a black border or the wings are completely black. Easily disturbed by day and flies in sunshine. Also flies after dark. ' - flying after dark is unusual for a species that flies in sunshine and this fits your description.
There is no British species that is entirely red, but if you only had the chance to see it flying around, the wings would have been more fully spread than when it rested on a plant, which I expect is what you mean by 'butterfly shaped.' Maybe you saw an individual with more red on the forewings than usual - interesting - but the red is so distinctive on a cinnabar moth that you may perhaps have just not seen the black parts when it was moving.
The other possibility is the burnet moth, but this typically has spots on its wings, so probably not that.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Or how about Small Copper? https://butterfly-conservation.org/butt ... all-copper
There was a Large Copper, but sadly it's now extinct.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:39 pm

I wish I had seen it again today. When i saw it yesterday, it was around 8pm, still daylight, it was in a meadow, outside the Sherwood Pines forest. It was definitely bright red, with butterfly shaped wings, not like a month. In my garden, when I saw it, it landed, but flew off quickly, flapping its wings very quickly. There didnt appear to he any other colour. I was within a few feet if it. I so wish I'd seen it again today. Never mind, one mystery that can't be solved.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:15 am

How close are the two sites where you saw it? i.e, could it have been the same individual, or maybe more than one? ? Very interesting. I suppose it's possible that someone had hatched a foreign species from a kit and set it free, or it could have arrived somehow else from abroad, like the birds that get twitchers all excited. Do keep looking and get a pic if you can.
Was it like this? https://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com/A ... billei.htm
Central African, not v. likely here, as you say.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:23 am

It could be something blown across on warm winds. Or the all red form of Cinnabar Moth, they are about at the moment. You could try finding a wildlife sightings blog or page for the area, which might have something on it. Hope you can get a pic.
saw two lovely Clouded Yellows yesterday
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:27 am

I envy you. Butterfly’s are rarer than hens teeth here.
Takes me back to my childhood though. Buddleia bushes heaving with butterflies, maybe six or eight different species. Does that still happen down south or have butterflies had population crashes too?

Return to “The Dustbath”