New chicks!

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

Marigold

Re: New chicks!

Post by Marigold » Wed May 08, 2019 7:44 am

5* accommodation there, Sandrine. I love the one where the chick does a runner off the carefully-spread sheet.
Sandrine
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by Sandrine » Mon May 13, 2019 6:50 pm

Lol 😅 yes and he must ne the fastest chick I've seen so far.

Two weeks old now and they're growing fast! They can jump to the side of the box now so I'm having to put some chicken wire over the box when we're not watching them.

They could do with a bigger living space but they'll have to wait until they can go outside. Until then, I am just getting them outside when the weather permits for them to stretch their legs and see their mum and dad ☺️

https://youtu.be/H2E2sf2a6oc
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:08 pm

7.5 weeks old. We have a brother and sister.... Punkie did his first cockledoodledoos today lol 😅
https://youtu.be/bbSvRiCG4BQ
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:42 pm

They’re looking good! Congratulations. Mine are about that age too but not as forward looking as yours.
Yorq1
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Yorq1 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:48 pm

So cute. We just put 20 eggs in yesterday. Can't wait for them to hatch!
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:45 pm

Peep and Booboo are / were both broody again, and are sharing the sitting duties. We have been checking for chicks hatching everyday because I forgot to take a note of when they started and so didn't have clue when they would be coming,... Trouble is that they must have come in the night and we forgot to check this morning, so when I went to collect the fresh eggs, I found two chicks which looked like they had been crushed to death or smothered. This wouldn't be surprising because all 7 chickens insist on squeezing in the same nesting box at night. Another chick was in the run, also dead, but looked like this one had been pecked which also would not be surprising because Doris tends to attack chicks and growers... So very sad that these 3 did not make it, but at least I know next time I will check properly or at least take a note of when they started to be broody.

Return to “Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers”