New girls

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

LadyA

Re: New girls

Post by LadyA » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:05 pm

bigyetiman wrote:They all look lovely and settling in well.
I just love the way whenever you do work they stand there like a sentinel of forewomen, offering helpful advice in a clucky sort of way.
That's exactly what they're like! Of course, there was the added incentive that as I cleared away grass etc from the base of the frame, I was uncovering bugs etc, which eager little beaks were waiting for!

And I got five little eggs today! Okay, one was out on the floor of the run - but the rest were all in the same nest box. Which had been carefully and thoroughly cleared of every scrap of straw that I had just put in there this morning!!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
LadyA

Re: New girls

Post by LadyA » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:04 pm

I've been a bit concerned about how little feed was disappearing, considering the girls are confined to the run at the moment. Most of them, it's as if they didn't understand the feed. All the pullets I've bought from this poultry place over the years have always been on layer's pellets before being sold, so I never thought to ask.
However I was, as I said, getting a bit concerned, particularly as, when I go to the run, I just about get mobbed. So today I made a bowl of pellets softened to a crumbly mash with warm water, and gave it to the hens. They fell on it like ravenous beasts! So I'll do the same in the morning.

Any hints for moving them onto pellets?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”