barely conscious hen

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
chickenfan
Part of the Flock

barely conscious hen

Post by chickenfan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:16 pm

I have a hen that has had diarrohea and impacted crop and is now dying. I've seen a vet but we have not won the battle. Poor girl has been in a collapsed state since yesterday evening and is not eating or drinking. She is on painkillers and I thought I would let her die naturally but she has remained in a barely conscious state for 24 hours. How much is she suffering? She responds to stroking and being spoken to by moving her head but otherwise is just lying flat out and breathing slowly. I wonder if it is better to have her shot?
bigyetiman

Re: barely conscious hen

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Sorry to read this, but dispatching her would be the kindest thing. It's not an easy thing to do the first time for any of us. I wring the neck of the bird, OH she goes for the block and axe approach.
Do you have someone who could do it for you if you are not up to it ?
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi Chickenfan
I cannot help, I am afraid, but hope one of the regulars will see your message.
It must be terrible to be faced with this. If it was me, I would have taken her to the vets to be put to sleep, as I cannot stand the thought of any creature suffering. If you can do this yourself, then so be it, no point delaying the inevitable?
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:37 pm

i agree with the other people who have responded. I feel it's our responsibility as poultry keepers to provide a swift end for a bird who is clearly suffering and will not recover. If she were mine, and I had taken her to the vet, it would have been a one-way trip.
Not easy, I know - but put yourself in her place, what would you want?
Sadly, hens don't live very long, but the ones in your care are very lucky to have such a loving home.
chickenfan
Part of the Flock

Post by chickenfan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:02 pm

Thankyou all. Cathy looked very bright after her crop op last Monday and she was expected to recover, but must have had another problem lower down. I thought long and hard about the offer to have her shot, but as she is barely conscious and looks comfortable, she is dying naturally in my kitchen like a person would. I did some research and decided it would be what I would prefer.

Incidentally if anyone has their bird pts at the vet, its important to ask for gas for them first as, according to my poultry vet, the injection in the head can be extremely painful.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:29 am

I'm glad she doesnt seem to be in pain. That being so, I can see why you want to give her space to die in peace.
When I've had birds PTS at the vet, the injection has been in the thigh and the whole process has seemed peaceful and painless, as one would expect.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am

Our vet said the lethal dose of anaesthetic injection was very painful because of the quantity necessary. In the case of 6Kg Basil he had a small general anaesthetic injection, which to the amazement of the vet took about 5 minutes to work. She wasn't convinced he was completely unconscious so he then had gas before an injection of anaesthetic into his brain. RIP Basil.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:32 pm

Gosh I am surprised about the lethal dose for a hen being painful! When I had to have our elderly, blind, cat pts, she had an injection and died almost instantly.
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:10 pm

Tweetypie wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:32 pm
Gosh I am surprised about the lethal dose for a hen being painful! When I had to have our elderly, blind, cat pts, she had an injection and died almost instantly.
Animals vary considerably in their reaction to anaesthetics. My elderly cat needed a second injection and she was tiny, only weighed six pounds. Everything else had been shutting down over a few hours - but not her heart.

The thought of an injection into the head (especially my head!) is enough to give me the horrors!!!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:30 pm

EEEK I agree, Margaid, I think that would be the most awful thing - an injection in the head. Seems cruel. :-(
I've had to go through a few traumatising experiences with animals. My 6 month old colt somehow broke his leg. Never knew how, just saw him lying down in the paddock one morning and knew when he didn't get up straight away, it was doom. He was put to sleep my lethal injection. He dropped down slowly. It seemed to be as peaceful as it gets, but for me, it was a long time getting over it.
Our pets give us us as much pleasure as pain, when things go wrong.

Return to “Chicken's Health”