Bullying drake

The place to discuss Domestic Ducks and Geese & Wild Fowl

Moderator: dorsetduckowner

dorsetduckowner
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: Bullying drake

Post by dorsetduckowner » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:21 pm

if he cant see them he will call for them and probably get distressed. Its worth remembering that his testicles (internal) are currently about 500 percent larger than they are during non breeding season, that means he is producing a whole lotta testosterone which has to be directed somewhere!!! Better directed at you than one of the girls. Invest in some good wellies and gloves and take the micky out of him for being such a silly boy. xxx
dorsetduckowner

Post by dorsetduckowner » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:27 pm

This is an x-ray taken on one of my drakes a few years ago that shows just how HUGE their gonads are at this time of the year, in the winter they probably wouldn't even show up on x-ray.
Scrag x-ray.jpg
Scrag x-ray.jpg (64.53 KiB) Viewed 688 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:05 pm

Isn't that rather a funny place to keep them?
You learn something amazing every day on here!
Shell1553
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Shell1553 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:56 am

Wow you do learn something everything!
Well I went in this morning to let him out, gave him some veggies, he ignored them and came running at me, prepared myself to be attacked, instead he started rubbing his body against my wellies but gently like he wanted a cuddle. I found this surprising because usually he’s never let me near him never mind a cuddle.
My husband thinks we should let him out with the girls tomorrow for a while but keeps our eyes on him at all times.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:08 pm

I am following your post and would love to know how your drake got on today. I'll wait in anticipation... :-)
dorsetduckowner

Post by dorsetduckowner » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:17 pm

Me too!!
dorsetduckowner

Post by dorsetduckowner » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:18 pm

I feel we know him well enough now to ask his name (and his wives)
Shell1553

Post by Shell1553 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:08 pm

I didn’t end up letting him out yesterday so i did it today while the sun was out. It all went brilliantly for 20 minutes. I heard my girl literally screaming so ran outside to find the drake had pinned her into a corner while pecking at her eyes. I split them up but he was at her every time she went back to the group. She’s had a few days of being left alone and being with her sisters and now he was back with them she just looked miserable. In end I ended up putting him back in prison.
I feel awful for him but I need to protect my girl.

And the names... get ready for a laugh 😂

The drake is Melvin, my girls are Maude, Mabel, Mavis and Mildred.

We are a family of M’s, I’m michelle, my husband is mark and we also have 2 dogs called miller and Monty and a bearded dragon called Morris
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:52 pm

Melvin :D I also have a Mabel. She's a bossy looking bird. :D
Oh dear, that's just so sad he picked on her again. Shame you can't buy a nice deterrent spray, a bit like men who used to wear Brut :-)10
I hope someone else has more solutions to try. It is a terrible dilemma.
Shell1553

Post by Shell1553 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:21 pm

My Mabel is quiet and bit of a pushover. My bossy girl was Maude but she’s the one who’s being bullied. She’s top duck when she’s just with the girls but when he’s near she’s a completely different duck. Mildred is my sassy one. I love their personalities.
I’ve had a suggestion today to rehome by girl... I can’t repeat what my answer was, it wasn’t very polite.
I’ve added a teddy to Melvins coop tonight to keep him company. Going to give him a few more days in prison and try him again with the girls. I wish i could have a chat with him and him understand me lol

Return to “Waterfowl Forum”