Squirrel Lasagne

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Squirrel Lasagne

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:58 am

A restaurant is serving up Grey Squirrel Lasagne. The news anchor was out and about asking people if they would eat it.
The squirrels are culled from a local estate and rather than just bin them, they decided they could be made into food.
Just got us wondering what is the oddest thing people have eaten on their travels, or even at home. We would give Squirrel Lasagne a go by the way, especially if it was made from the little varmints in the garden
Hen-Gen

Re: Squirrel Lasagne

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:45 am

Had squirrel stew in the car park at the National. It was made by someone from the old Practical Poultry site. Very nice it was too.
However the most repulsive thing I’ve eaten, not because of the idea but because of what it was like, was sea cucumber which, for the uninitiated, ain’t no vegetable.
Years ago. Just off Tottenham Courrt Road was a restaurant called Antipodes. My casserole of kangaroo followed by chocolate covered scorpions was delicious.
But I draw the line at a deep fried Mars bar!🤮
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:55 am

I had rattlesnake once - just so that I could always say that I had! When we lived in NM, a friend of ours killed a huge one. He said "I ran over it in my truck. Had to run over it about six times, before I killed it!" So, being a sort of outdoorsy type, he cooked it. Waste not, want not and all that. It tasted kind of like turkey legs. Except you'd know it wasn't turkey legs, because of the shape!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:40 am

We have eaten Kangaroo, Ostrich, Zebra and Buffalo.
You are not the first Hen-Gen to say sea cucumber is revolting. Never tried snake but would give it a go, always imagined it would taste like frogs legs (not sure why I have always thought that) but if it tastes like turkey then it does.
The most disgusting thing Oh has come across was in Iceland seal blubber burgers. They were offered as a welcome delicacy on a trip. That's what they were just compressed seal blubber.
Deep fried Mars bars or Snickers no way Jose
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:42 am

I'm a bit too squeamish to try anything like squirrel, sea cucumber, snake or scorpions. Call me old fashioned. :-) or just unadventurous. :-(
I recall many years ago being out with some friends, eating chinese food and what I thought were onion rings, were actually squid rings...suffice to say, they all laughed their heads off at me.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:45 am

There's a restaurant called Grub Kitchen near St. Davids, Pembrokeshire. When on holiday, we have read the menu, but am sorry to say that, although always keen to support local businesses, we didn't go there for supper. See http://www.grubkitchen.co.uk Actually, on reading their present menus from the link, it sounds as if they've opened out their menu a lot, and now, when we return, I'm sure we shall give it a go.
In view of recent alarm about the way insect populations globally are declining at a catastrophic rate of 2.5% per year, maybe farm-bred insects are a good way to go.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Don't worry Tweetypie, squid rings pales into insignificance next to my friends dad who was a real know it all, on a trip to France insisted he understood all the French words on the menu, in spite of my friend saying "dad do you know what you have ordered"? "yes its lambs liver"
You should have seen his face when a plate of brains arrived :lol:
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:28 pm

😂😂😂That's so much worse than my "onion" squid rings.
rick

Post by rick » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Having been or lived with vegetarians for most ( 2/3 maybe) of my life, going in for the more adventurous delicacies has been off the radar. In fact, foreign travel for me is a fairly recent thing. I haven't tried jellied eels (I don't think, unless it was very long ago.) Have cooked a squirrel that the dog caught. My folks were always picking up pheasants and rabbits from my dads drive to work in the morning. I used to really like tripe and onions in white sauce on top of mashed potato with some black pepper Yum! Not sure Id recreate the experience now though.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:03 am

Rick, you could try Durian fruit! My brother tells me that it smells so utterly foul that you're not allowed bring it on public transport where he lives! But it's very popular in those parts of the world that it's native to.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!

Return to “The Dustbath”