Weather

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

Re: Weather

Post by LadyA »

Margaid wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:43 am
Trying to snow in south Shropshire, not settling her but I expect the Long Mynd now has a white cap.
Wow!
Here, both yesterday and today were lovely days. Coldish (about 10C), but bright with some sunshine. Today though there's a strong wind, that makes it feel colder.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

Don’t know about you guys but it’s nithering here. More winter woolies. (to be honest fibre pile and cotton. Wearing wool is torture).
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

Not exactly sure what "nithering" is but it turned chilly yesterday and today it's chilly with steady gentle rain, just right for the garden. Means I can get on with indoor chores.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

A Yorkshire born and bred friend refers to freezing cold weather as "nithering"
Not cold here today but gentle rain with the odd heavy spell, but 1st two Cuckoo's heard this morning
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Same here - I boosted the central heating for a couple of hours this morning. We’ve got soft the past weeks of warm weather. Lovely steady rain for the garden and no excuse for not doing some long-overdue cleaning indoors after weeks of work in the garden in sunshine.
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

Glorious warm, sunny day here today, although yesterday was cloudy and cool.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

My husband is feeling smug now; I've spent the last fortnight being scolded for turning off the central heating (it's nearly May!!!) and now it's turned cold again. I heard my first chiffchaffs of the year yesterday though, while walking in the bluebell woods up the road.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
LadyA

Post by LadyA »

I spoke too soon! Yesterday felt downright cold, and we had very heavy rain. I had to turn the heating on last night.

This Winter, I didn't buy any heating oil, relying on the stove backed up by electric infra red radiant panels. However, oil is so cheap at the moment, that I could fill the oil tank for about half what I paid last time for the same amount of oil, so I bit the bullet and bought it. It's handy to have, for days when I'm out and don't get the stove lit early enough (it can take a few hours for heat to reach the living room, which is last on the heating loop)
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Central heating back on here. I have resumed the warm trousers I thought had gone into hibernation.

A good buy LadyA.
On Monday I finally got through to https://www.fwpmatthews.co.uk/store/ who have been so overwhelmed with online orders for flour that they had to shut shop for a long time whilst catching up and are still only opening for a short time at 10.00 each morning. You have to go on at 10.00. and keep refreshing the page until it goes live. I managed to order enough 'proper' flour to keep the breadmaker happy for up to 3 months. I got fed up with Waitrose sending silly little packs of white bread mix because they are out of proper bread flour and are limiting orders to 3 'bread items' per order. Yeast counts as 1 item but if I can get flour elsewhere that's OK.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

My heating is on too and I'm also thinking of buying more oil although what's in the tank would last until at least November. No real problem about getting flour here - you can buy a 25Kg sack of ordinary flour but shelves were being restocked again yesterday with bread flour etc - but that's at an independent supermarket. Flour isn't counted as a "bread item" which is now unrestricted although other stuff is 4 per person.

Still chilly and damp when it isn't actually raining but sunshine is on its' way tomorrow.

Return to “The Dustbath”