Broody Chinese Painted Quail

The place to discuss Quail.

Moderator: Marigold

Marigold

Re: Broody Chinese Painted Quail

Post by Marigold » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:28 am

Well, at least you know she is able and interested to stand the course!
The usual advice with hens is to remove the infertile eggs, break the bird of being broody and give her a rest from all that sitting to let her hormones return to normal and let her put the weight back on which will have been lost whilst not feeding normally and being inactive for so long. Then provide more eggs if required when she goes broody again a few weeks later. I don't know if you feel the same would apply to quail, but if you did give her a break and then she went broody again once back in lay, you could add eggs at that point. The light and warmth would be better also, as the Spring advances.
Sandrine
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Sandrine » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:58 pm

Hi Marigold,

Thank you for the advice, I think I would agree with you since this is what I would normally do with my bigger girls (the bantams), I think it's fair to say that Martha would probably benefit from the same treatment.

I waited a few more days just in case, and the eggs were definitely not going to hatch. I don't know why it didn't work, perhaps she was having too many breaks some of the days? The fact that they are so opaque that it's impossible to candle did not help as I could have stopped her a little earlier. But hey, like you said, at least I know she's willing to sit on them for as long as it takes.

It took her less than a day to be back to normal,... They are currently sat together (outside of the little huts) all cooped up together as if we have only one quail with two heads :D It's lovely to watch them actually. Charley was definitely happy to see her out of the nest, and he celebrated with his courting dance! I don't think Martha was all that impressed though! ahahah

So I shall now wait until she starts laying and get a few additional hatching eggs when she decides to sit again. I will be getting a small incubator next week as well, so at least I will have a back up.

I have been thinking of checking the eggs I "pinched" for fertility (i.e. just in case they were fertile but Martha's inexperience might have been the cause for the failure), but apart from cracking them,... I am not sure how else I could check them,... I might just leave it alone lol by the way, you were correct Marigold, 8 eggs!

I will try and post more photos / videos in a few days time on a different thread to show the 2-headed quail :-)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi Sandrine, I'm glad she's back to normal and Charley is happy. i'll be interested to hear of any developments in their love life.
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:33 pm

Well... It didn't take long! She stayed out with Charley a few days, not laying. They spent a few nights together looking like one quail with two heads again lol . Then Martha started laying again and after about 3 days of laying she was back in the hut, sitting on the eggs! Not 100% sure on the date when she started but I'd say at least 10 days ago. So Charley is getting clearly annoyed again, but she's putting him in his place if it's not time for her daily break lol
I will let her sit on there for as long as it takes this time. I read somewhere that it is possible for eggs to take much longer to hatch than the usual time depending on the conditions like if it's too cold, too hot, too dry / humid... It's like they're only going to hatch when the conditions are just right.. will keep you posted!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Brilliant, what a lovely pair. Please keep posting!
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:07 pm

I'm glad to report that Charley is much more patient this time round. He calls Martha every now and then but not as frequently as last time. He goes and sits or sleeps near the nest at night and in the day he gets the company of Bernard the Canary who seem to visit him more often. Martha is much more devoted to her eggs. She's not having as many breaks as what she did the first time round. So is well at the moment and a lot more peaceful than last time!

Here's a link to a short video that shows just how peaceful parenthood is in the quail household lol

https://youtu.be/9MYAqNTkQPo
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:05 pm

He looks very healthy and happy, doesn't he?
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:01 pm

Well well well... I thought Charley had somehow managed to escape as I couldn't find him.... But actually he seems to have taken paternity leave... He's also sat on the 9 eggs in the hut, with Martha.... This is quite charming! Lol
I attached a photo but it had to be a screenshot of the original because it was too large. So not sure how good this will be...
Attachments
Screenshot_20190302_185538.jpg
Screenshot_20190302_185538.jpg (53.28 KiB) Viewed 416 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:15 pm

Poor lad, I expect he was lonely. What a little sweetie!
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:14 pm

or he knew something was about to happen......

https://youtu.be/G5ldptai8ss
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-03 at 10.55.04.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-03 at 10.55.04.jpeg (21.29 KiB) Viewed 354 times
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-03 at 10.38.19.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-03-03 at 10.38.19.jpeg (44.95 KiB) Viewed 354 times

Return to “Quail Forum”