Card fraud

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Icemaiden

Re: Card fraud

Post by Icemaiden » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:50 pm

If anyone else gets through your front door, I'd suggest either not offering them anything to drink (they'll get thirsty after all that sales patter) or filling them with cups of tea & then directing them to a mythical outside toilet & not letting them back in!!!
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
rick

Post by rick » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:31 pm

I would have thought that your batteries would wear out first Marigold - the inverter is a solid state device. Everything wears out eventually, of course, but moving parts, fans, motors, batteries etc have a definite life. Trouble is, these modern systems (inc. cars, particularly cars) are 'black boxes' to the consumer who usually just has to take the expert advisor (read 2 days on a basic course - mainly learning the marketing pitch off pat) at face value.
About 10 years ago we had a knock on the door from someone inquiring if we wanted to render our house. As it happens, the house had been painted white before we had it and it was looking like it could do with a freshen up (getting all the paint off was never going to be an option) so I just wondered what the quote for a render coat would be. The salesman came round at 6pm and got the brochures out - after three quarters of an hour we finally got a quote and said thank you, we will think about it. (This was after putting a probe in the bathroom wall and saying it was damp - apart from it being a bathroom and having a broken tile in the roof by that wall that I already knew about - render was prescribed as the solution.)
The quote dropped
No we want to think about it - We just wanted a quote.
The quote dropped again - now it was half price
Not going to buy anything right now
The quote dropped again
Not going to buy anything right now
Before leaving the salesman asked ' out of interest, how much lower would I have to have gone before you bought the product?'
We were never going to have bought it this evening - We was asking for a quote!'
He left at 10:00pm!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:13 am

You wonder don't you how many people have already "fallen" for this scam and forked out the money.
I would have loved to have seen you cross examining him. We don't fall for the pricey insurance deals o products either. We recently bought a freezer from AO.Com and they were very efficient, but the sales people did keep ringing to try and get us to take out insurance. We politely told them it was no and would be no everytime they rang, and how annoying it is to be phoned when you are at work. They must have listened as we recently had a new washing machine from them and no phone calls. Just an email asking if we were happy with the delivery.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 am

however, I now know more about inverters than I did a fee days ago. The Solar Edge type does boost the performance of the panels, especially ones like ours where the end panel is partly shaded by an adjacent gable end by the end of the afternoon. With ordinary inverters, when the power input to one of the panels drops, all of them drop at the same time, whereas with a Solar Edge the others keep on working until the sun goes down. See https://www.spiritenergy.co.uk/kb-solar ... gLs8PD_BwE
if interested. However, I also found that these inverters sell at around £750- £1200, less than half the price of the £3,500 we were quoted!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:13 pm

That will come in handy if anyone else rings up and tries to fleece you. I can see you totally confusing them with technical questions.
You saying that your OH will talk to Jehovah's witnesses. Brought back memories of student days, when Mormons knocked on the flat door of the place that was shared with a couple of other students and we invited them in ! We had partaken of a few drinks prior to the knock. Anyway we delightfully confused them for the next hour, once they had got over the shock of actually being allowed into a property. Seem to remember we told them we were practicing Druids, and how problematical sacrificing things were these days, they couldn't wait to leave.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:25 pm

I had another of those Asian cold callers a month ago. After he’d asked for me by name I explained that Mr Cooper was currently tied up in the cellar for being a bad boy and in fact I was just about to go down and punish him. My visitors at the time could barely contain their laughter and the guy never rang back.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Brilliant Hen-Gen. hopefully your name now has a "do not ring this weirdo" written next to it in Mumbai or wherever they were calling from

Return to “The Dustbath”