Recipes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Icemaiden

Re: Recipes

Post by Icemaiden » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:25 pm

For a lazy weekend brunch, I can recommend the exotically named "eggy bread with cheese & mushrooms".
For 1 person:-
Wipe & slice a handful of mushrooms. Fry gently in butter.
Meanwhile crack 2 - 3 eggs into a wide, shallow dish (the lid of a pyrex casserole dish is ideal). Add a handful of grated cheese- stilton, mature cheddar or whatever needs using up. Throw in some chopped herbs to taste if you have any, plus some freshly ground black pepper. Mix together well.

Place a couple of slices of bread into the egg & cheese mixture, allowing it to soak in. Turn the bread over to soak the other side, then transfer it to the frying pan on top of the cooked mushrooms. Add any cheese that's left in the dish.
Cook on a gentle-ish heat until it just starts to brown, then turn it over to cook the other side.

It might not be sophisticated, but it's gorgeous & a great use of eggs! I use my home-made granary bread with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and walnuts, but any decent bread will do.

Enjoy!
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:34 pm

That does sound good, Icemaiden!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:20 am

It's plum glut time! I'm making wine, and freezing lots, but I've also made this cake, which is just delish! I used an 8inch, deep, square pan, which gives a large cake. Lovely served warm, with cream or ice cream!

plum cake:
300g caster sugar
230g soft butter
280g flour (plain)
2 teaspoons baking powder
4 large eggs
good pinch of salt
enough plums, halved, to cover the top of the cake.
about 3 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar (literally, put a spoon of cinnamon into two/three tablespoons coarse granulated sugar and mix well)

Oven: Gas 4/180C

Preheat oven. Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Mix baking powder into flour and sift into creamed mixture. Beat salt into the eggs, and beat into the butter/flour mixture. Mix well.

Put batter into a greased/lined tin (a loose bottomed tin works well for this) and smooth out the top. Put the plum halves on top, (cut side up) to more or less cover the batter. Sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Bake on the lowest shelf until a skewer comes out clean. I forgot to time it, but I think it took over an hour.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:33 pm

That sounds delicious. Do you think it would work with blackberries on top instead of plums? We haven't got any plums here but there's going to be a very heavy crop of blackberries this year, once they've had another week to sweeten. Rain early in the year to swell the berries, then lots of hot sun - not like last year when there was a hot drought early on and most of them just never got going.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Both sound good though truth be told I’ve never cooked a plum in my life. Prunes yes. Plums no.
Blackberries sounds delicious. Perhaps bilberries too.
My one sorte into criminality was when as a student I would buy those jars of Krakus Polish Billberries but peel the label off a tin of peaches and stick it on the billberries. Never got caught which made them taste even better!
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:22 pm

I see no reason why blackberries wouldn't work. Or raspberries.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:34 am

We have a similar recipe that does use blackberries, and also blueberries are suggested
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:00 am

Anyone got any nice recipes for Christmassy things to share? I'm debating what to put in the hampers I give my brothers and dau. I'm going to make Cranberry/orange relish (recipe can be found earlier in this thread, because I'm sure I posted it last year), and Lemon Curd and fudge. Any other ideas?
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:34 am

I used to make petit fours - marzipan fruit and also the cooked almond fingers. Fruits are easy, just need marzipan and food colouring. Cloves make the flower end for apples; two pieces of marzipan, one green one red rolled together in your hands to make a ball. Nutmeg grater makes the dimples on oranges and rolling strawberries lightly in granulated sugar creates the surface effect. I used to add the colouring before I made the fruit so it went all the way through. One pack of marzipan will make 10 - 12 fruits, they don't need to be huge!

Cooked almond fingers/rosettes etc

1 egg white
4 oz ground almonds
3 oz caster sugar
A few drops of almond essence
Glace cherries, angelica doe decoration.

Keep a little egg white for glazing and whisk remainder until stiff then lightly fold in ground almonds and sugar. Add the essence and mix well. Put mixture in piping bag fitted with large rosette nozzle and force into fingers (inch and a half max long) or rosettes on greased baking sheet. Brush with a little egg white and decorate with pieces of glace cherry etc. Bake in moderate oven (350F) for 1 mins. Leave on tray for a couple of minutes to harden slightly then cool on wire tray.

You'll realise this is an old recipe - Good Housekeeping Home Encyclopaedia, 1952 edition!

I also used to make chocolate truffles and a passable Turkish Delight!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:07 pm

Margaid wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:34 am
I used to make petit fours - marzipan fruit and also the cooked almond fingers. Fruits are easy, just need marzipan and food colouring. Cloves make the flower end for apples; two pieces of marzipan, one green one red rolled together in your hands to make a ball. Nutmeg grater makes the dimples on oranges and rolling strawberries lightly in granulated sugar creates the surface effect. I used to add the colouring before I made the fruit so it went all the way through. One pack of marzipan will make 10 - 12 fruits, they don't need to be huge!

Cooked almond fingers/rosettes etc

1 egg white
4 oz ground almonds
3 oz caster sugar
A few drops of almond essence
Glace cherries, angelica doe decoration.

Keep a little egg white for glazing and whisk remainder until stiff then lightly fold in ground almonds and sugar. Add the essence and mix well. Put mixture in piping bag fitted with large rosette nozzle and force into fingers (inch and a half max long) or rosettes on greased baking sheet. Brush with a little egg white and decorate with pieces of glace cherry etc. Bake in moderate oven (350F) for 1 mins. Leave on tray for a couple of minutes to harden slightly then cool on wire tray.

You'll realise this is an old recipe - Good Housekeeping Home Encyclopaedia, 1952 edition!

I also used to make chocolate truffles and a passable Turkish Delight!
Sounds good, although I know myself well enough to know that I don't have the patience to do the marzipan fruits! Is that correct, Margaid, on the almond fingers, to bake for just 1 min?

Return to “The Dustbath”