Sneezing and runny nose

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
MidsYk
Newcomer / Hatchling

Sneezing and runny nose

Post by MidsYk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Any advise please? We got two new PoL to join our one remaining old girl about 8 weeks ago. One of the new girls 'Red' hasn't yet laid an egg. We've also noticed she has dirty vent feathers and occasionally sneezes. Today i noticed a her nose was a little runny. She appears to be a bright happy chicken otherwise. We give Vermex once a month and i've also bought Flubenvet but haven't used it yet.
When we first got her she took to sleeping outdoors on top on the coop, this may have been down to the initial bullying which has now stopped. The other new girl 'Dotty' is laying and we have no concerns. The coop is clean (sawdust in the next boxes) and we use diatomaceous powder. I don't like to think that she's not well, any thoughts welcome.
LadyA

Re: Sneezing and runny nose

Post by LadyA » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:16 pm

I would at the very least isolate her. She's displaying what, in chickens, are always worrying symptoms - which isn't necessarily saying that she is seriously ill or infectious - but respiratory illnesses can become serious quite quickly in birds, because of how their respiratory system works. A bird's lungs are small, relative to the size of its body. This is because the lungs are just part of their respiratory system. They have several air sacs through their body. So respiratory infections can quickly spread through the body, and be the devil to shift. If you don't want to cull her, then I would isolate for a day or two, and if she's not better by then, see a vet.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
rick

Post by rick » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:36 pm

The runny nose has a couple of possible causes, I think:
It is likely that she is reacting to a per-existing presence of mycoplasma in the run, just like joining a new class where you haven't developed a resistance to the colds that are going around (and ever present but not a problem.) Stress makes it worse and being introduced is somewhat stressful. If this is what is happening then it should settle down and she will build an immunity. Wiping runny noses with saline solution is a good idea to stop nares getting blocked.
The second possibility, which unfortunately runs contrary to the first, is that she has brought an infection with her. Then, like LadyA says you need to separate her which wont help with integration. Separating her for 24 hours at least may be very informative as you will be able to observe her better.
Particularly the runny bottom which, I think, will be a completely separate issue to the runny nose.
I'm thinking you have to isolate her so why not put her on Flubenvet for a week and see if it clears up the rear end. Only Flubenvet will knock out a worm infestation, Vermex may discourage them but wont eradicate them, it would be a good precaution for newcomers and wont do any harm. If you can isolate her in view of the others that would help the second introduction. If the old girl and the young one are getting on reasonably well it would be a shame to go backwards with them but... Its difficult!
The other option is to take both young ones out for the time being and reintroduce again when they are both fit (and wormed)
Diatom powder is really good stuff but if you are in the UK then red mite shouldn't be problem just now and it is a respiratory irritant so needs to be used with caution.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:33 am

Good advice from LadyA and Rick. i'd just like to add that you could consider changing the sawdust for something less dusty, such as Aubiose or wood shavings. And as Rick says, go easy with the diatom, or stop using it for a while now the hot weather and red mite season is largely over for the winter. It's dangerous stuff if inhaled as it consists of fine particles of silica which abrade and dehydrate mites, but also affect the respiratory system of both birds and humans. It's better to make it into a slurry with water and paint it on round the perch ends and any other crannies in woodwork, as it then stays in place better and is safer. Just try to reduce the amount of airborne dust of any kind, and ensure plenty of ventilation in the coop. if your run is safe, do leave the pophole open at all times.
What breed is your pullet, and is she vaccinated? what are you feeding them on? Where did you get her from? She may be late coming into lay now the days are getting shorter, and if she's a purebred she may even wait until January, but if this is so, at least she will be able to put all her energy into getting better without the extra effort of laying eggs.
MidsYk
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by MidsYk » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Thank you all for your responses. We will Isolate her over the weekend and give her some flubvenet over the next week (for her dirty vent feathers). I didn’t realise that diatomaceous could cause potential irritation as I’d always been told it was good for various things. I will give the coop a good clean out and not add any more for now! Will also look into other bedding options, if things don’t improve. I have previously phoned a vet about chicken health but the response wasn’t great unfortunately.
Much appreciated guys!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Like marigold we always make a paste of the Diatomaceous earth and put into the nooks and crannies. Can't add anything else to the advice as previous posts by have covered it all
MidsYk
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by MidsYk » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:09 pm

Great tip, thank you

Return to “Chicken's Health”