Wet droppings (grey green)

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Marigold

Re: Wet droppings (grey green)

Post by Marigold » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 am

rick wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Anyway. There is an evolutionary reason for grief so its pretty unavoidable. Thats a lot of plastic in the landfill. Keeping chickens is a delight. I don't really get social media I think. XXX
That's a very perceptive statement, Rick, says it all I think. I do care for my chickens - a lot - I like to see them adding life to the garden, and observing the way they get on together, I do my best for them, and I'm sorry when they go. But they're sort of part way to being farm animals, and eggs are the main reason they're there. Whereas I look at my beautiful little 5-year-old dog, and think 'another 10 years, with luck... when you go, it will hit me really hard.'
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 am

Marigold wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 am
rick wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Anyway. There is an evolutionary reason for grief so its pretty unavoidable. Thats a lot of plastic in the landfill. Keeping chickens is a delight. I don't really get social media I think. XXX
That's a very perceptive statement, Rick, says it all I think. I do care for my chickens - a lot - I like to see them adding life to the garden, and observing the way they get on together, I do my best for them, and I'm sorry when they go. But they're sort of part way to being farm animals, and eggs are the main reason they're there. Whereas I look at my beautiful little 5-year-old dog, and think 'another 10 years, with luck... when you go, it will hit me really hard.'
I suppose dogs (unless they are purely working dogs) and cats are mostly companions and pets, we feel their loss more. As I type, Toria, my tortie cat (not a cuddler as a rule) is curled up at my lower back, snoozing. As you say, I do care for my chickens, and I cry buckets over every one I have to cull, but they are not pets, not any more. I used to treat them as pets, but that was too heartbreaking, when they'd have names, and I knew them well enough that I could distinguish each brown girl from the other at a glance. Then, I did tend to hang on too long when in my heart, I knew one really had reached her time. Now, the chickens are well looked after, but if I suspect they are ill beyond some minor, passing thing, then they are culled quickly.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:08 pm

We go the same way, see if it is some weird 24 hour thing, amazing how a hen can look like it's at deaths door one night and absolutely fine the next day, usually there is a fine old mess under the perch though. If a hen doesn't get well we usually cull it, after all they can't tell us if they are actually suffering apart from looking miserable and I would hate the thought of one being in pain and wasting away in distress. We have the room to keep a few old timers at the moment the Bluebelle with attitude and a couple of Light Sussex aged 6 & 5, one of whom recovered from a prolapse at a year old.
Ours get put in old feed sack and put in the incerator when the time comes
rick

Post by rick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Well her (still rather wet) droppings are brown again rather than grey/green so thats a step in the right direction! Ive ordered some oregano prep but meanwhile they are off the flubenvet and have had avipro on their breakfast mash.
Screenshot from 2018-10-12 16-29-41.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-12 16-29-41.png (15.6 KiB) Viewed 299 times
They were all heavier in May, well except Mo and Linden (who makes a handy 1kg weight.) Bonnie was a bit podgy even. Pom, Lulu and Bonnie have all lost half a kilo since then - worming was due maybe - all drinking more water in the summer maybe?? Bonnie and Pom are moulting but Lulu isn't.
I don't really get the farm animal thing Marigold - practically, I know what you all mean about the life expectancy of a hen, the not very nice and un-treatable ways they can go without timely intervention. And farm animals - I'm not banging a vegetarian drum here - what would the World do without chickens as a food source? OK, I can choose pretty freely what I eat but thats because I'm very lucky! But my chickens, to me, don't have farm animal status.
They're not friends. I don't presume them to have any such notion themselves so it would be a bit one sided! It is funny how they become individuals, to the point of telling at a glance one from the other when they would look identical (well not all) to someone that didn't know them. We all have a particular liking for birds in all their forms - what is it with beaks and feathers and those funny walks? Knowing them as individuals is rewarding - at a bit of a price!

I remembered this morning I can measure her body temperature to rule out peritonitis - with relief its in normal range at 40.8 deg C.
I know I'm annoying some with hand wringing and blow by blow accounts but I don't see what else a Chickens Health section is for!
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:39 am

I thought that a runny bottom when on Flubenvet was part of the treatment's way of evicting dead worms. I wouldn't worry unless it continues after the course of Flubenvet finishes.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 am

How has she been getting on over the weekend, Rick?
Ad i don't think anyone has been annoyed by any of your postings - as you say, we're all here to learn, and to ask for help when needed.
rick

Post by rick » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks. I don't want to turn a crisis into a drama and there hasn't been much change other than me considering various things - like what the cause is and how to be as swift as possible if necessary. Bonnie is as lively as any hen half way through a moult but her weight, which is still slowly but steadily falling, is looking like a repeat of what happened last time - ending in a high temperature and that strange, barely identifiable peritonitis. I caught it too late then so my worry mainly is how to turn it around before getting into that situation.
So, the Oreganico is good stuff. While the consistency of her droppings hasn't changed much - there is, I think, sign that the completely wrong bacteria in her digestive tract have subsided. Also, what has helped is massaging her crop every evening when she has gone to roost on the perch because it gets some food moved around the blockage which tends to settle to the bottom during the day - I think.
But there is defiantly something in there as I went out this morning while they were still on the perch and there is about a third of a crop of firm matter left. So tomorrow morning we are booked into the vet - possibly to have her crop emptied, I'll see how it pans out.
Bonnie came from the end of season, difficult to sell pen. I knew that was what it was from previous experience but still went for it! My fault but we kind of had an arrangement from there in and it didn't necessarily involve her being easy. Still, if she is full of her own feather fluff then we are going to need a better plan for next time.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:41 am

It'll be interesting to hear what the vet has to say, especially if it turns out to be feather related. Is she still moulting, or through the worst by now?
rick

Post by rick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:36 am

No, it was a couple of weeks ago when there were drifts of feathers to sweep up in the morning although there is a few new ones. She is growing out her pins at the moment. Has had some peeled cucumber and water for breakfast (to soften the contents of her crop) while waiting in the dog crate to go. I'll be bringing her back this morning whatever the conclusion but I don't think it will be anything immediate. She is full of attitude about being taken out of the run at the moment.
rick

Post by rick » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:06 am

The vet didn't want to empty her crop because her temperature was a bit high (41.8) but then she was quite flustered. I'll take it again this evening when she has settled back down in the run. No fluid at all in her body cavity and weight has gone up a little in the past couple of days.
To continue massaging with 0.5ml of paraffin oil each day and see if how she is doing in a weeks time.

Return to “Chicken's Health”