Wet droppings (grey green)

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Marigold

Re: Wet droppings (grey green)

Post by Marigold » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 am

rick wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Anyway. There is an evolutionary reason for grief so its pretty unavoidable. Thats a lot of plastic in the landfill. Keeping chickens is a delight. I don't really get social media I think. XXX
That's a very perceptive statement, Rick, says it all I think. I do care for my chickens - a lot - I like to see them adding life to the garden, and observing the way they get on together, I do my best for them, and I'm sorry when they go. But they're sort of part way to being farm animals, and eggs are the main reason they're there. Whereas I look at my beautiful little 5-year-old dog, and think 'another 10 years, with luck... when you go, it will hit me really hard.'
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 am

Marigold wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:46 am
rick wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Anyway. There is an evolutionary reason for grief so its pretty unavoidable. Thats a lot of plastic in the landfill. Keeping chickens is a delight. I don't really get social media I think. XXX
That's a very perceptive statement, Rick, says it all I think. I do care for my chickens - a lot - I like to see them adding life to the garden, and observing the way they get on together, I do my best for them, and I'm sorry when they go. But they're sort of part way to being farm animals, and eggs are the main reason they're there. Whereas I look at my beautiful little 5-year-old dog, and think 'another 10 years, with luck... when you go, it will hit me really hard.'
I suppose dogs (unless they are purely working dogs) and cats are mostly companions and pets, we feel their loss more. As I type, Toria, my tortie cat (not a cuddler as a rule) is curled up at my lower back, snoozing. As you say, I do care for my chickens, and I cry buckets over every one I have to cull, but they are not pets, not any more. I used to treat them as pets, but that was too heartbreaking, when they'd have names, and I knew them well enough that I could distinguish each brown girl from the other at a glance. Then, I did tend to hang on too long when in my heart, I knew one really had reached her time. Now, the chickens are well looked after, but if I suspect they are ill beyond some minor, passing thing, then they are culled quickly.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:08 pm

We go the same way, see if it is some weird 24 hour thing, amazing how a hen can look like it's at deaths door one night and absolutely fine the next day, usually there is a fine old mess under the perch though. If a hen doesn't get well we usually cull it, after all they can't tell us if they are actually suffering apart from looking miserable and I would hate the thought of one being in pain and wasting away in distress. We have the room to keep a few old timers at the moment the Bluebelle with attitude and a couple of Light Sussex aged 6 & 5, one of whom recovered from a prolapse at a year old.
Ours get put in old feed sack and put in the incerator when the time comes
rick

Post by rick » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Well her (still rather wet) droppings are brown again rather than grey/green so thats a step in the right direction! Ive ordered some oregano prep but meanwhile they are off the flubenvet and have had avipro on their breakfast mash.
Screenshot from 2018-10-12 16-29-41.png
Screenshot from 2018-10-12 16-29-41.png (15.6 KiB) Viewed 42 times
They were all heavier in May, well except Mo and Linden (who makes a handy 1kg weight.) Bonnie was a bit podgy even. Pom, Lulu and Bonnie have all lost half a kilo since then - worming was due maybe - all drinking more water in the summer maybe?? Bonnie and Pom are moulting but Lulu isn't.
I don't really get the farm animal thing Marigold - practically, I know what you all mean about the life expectancy of a hen, the not very nice and un-treatable ways they can go without timely intervention. And farm animals - I'm not banging a vegetarian drum here - what would the World do without chickens as a food source? OK, I can choose pretty freely what I eat but thats because I'm very lucky! But my chickens, to me, don't have farm animal status.
They're not friends. I don't presume them to have any such notion themselves so it would be a bit one sided! It is funny how they become individuals, to the point of telling at a glance one from the other when they would look identical (well not all) to someone that didn't know them. We all have a particular liking for birds in all their forms - what is it with beaks and feathers and those funny walks? Knowing them as individuals is rewarding - at a bit of a price!

I remembered this morning I can measure her body temperature to rule out peritonitis - with relief its in normal range at 40.8 deg C.
I know I'm annoying some with hand wringing and blow by blow accounts but I don't see what else a Chickens Health section is for!
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:39 am

I thought that a runny bottom when on Flubenvet was part of the treatment's way of evicting dead worms. I wouldn't worry unless it continues after the course of Flubenvet finishes.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 am

How has she been getting on over the weekend, Rick?
Ad i don't think anyone has been annoyed by any of your postings - as you say, we're all here to learn, and to ask for help when needed.

Return to “Chicken's Health”