A pity my Poppy couldn't be there!

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Marigold

Re: A pity my Poppy couldn't be there!

Post by Marigold » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 pm

I think he wasn't the only one. Nobody had any plans for Brexit. Neither camp imagined it would actually happen. If there had been some plans, along the lines of the papers only just now being published about its effect on business, travel etc, people might have had a better idea what they were voting for. The expressions on the faces of some of the politicians who had campaigned for Brexit, probably as a career-boosting move, showed dismay and disbelief. And the backstabbing of Boris by Michael Gove, which led Boris to rule himself out of the race just as he was about to put himself forward as a candidate for PM, showed that even he was uncertain about taking it on.

I think Brexit was largely a protest vote by a country fed up with austerity, fed up with the government, and wanting to believe that any kind of change would be for the better, fuelled by false promises of a return to prosperity, millions for the NHS etc.

The one simple point that bothers me is what would be the plans for the Irish border if we crash out with no deal? Nobody has mentioned that, but I think a return to a hard border would then be inevitable.
rick

Post by rick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:03 pm

Looking through the list of EU countries - distinctly catchy possibilities:
Brexit, Crexit, Frexit, Grexit (of course), Spexit, Swexit, Czech Rexit

Bit of a non starter for the rest.

Oh and "Project Fear!" (fingers in ears) "Na, na, na, na!" thing. That really got on my pip!
Most of the time I cant tell the difference between marketing and politics. Not keen on either, despite knowing that's the way the world goes round!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:42 am

rick wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:03 pm
Looking through the list of EU countries - distinctly catchy possibilities:
Brexit, Crexit, Frexit, Grexit (of course), Spexit, Swexit, Czech Rexit

Bit of a non starter for the rest.

Oh and "Project Fear!" (fingers in ears) "Na, na, na, na!" thing. That really got on my pip!
Most of the time I cant tell the difference between marketing and politics. Not keen on either, despite knowing that's the way the world goes round!
There's already been talk of "Irexit" which I think is a non starter, because how would you even begin to pronounce it? Iroutahere would be better, I think! :D
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:09 am

Marigold wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 pm
I think Brexit was largely a protest vote by a country fed up with austerity, fed up with the government, and wanting to believe that any kind of change would be for the better, fuelled by false promises of a return to prosperity, millions for the NHS etc.
So you don’t think that concerns about uncontrolled immigration had anything to do with it? I suppose that those of us who are are racists and xenophobes. And the “ democratic deficit” within the EC? And the move towards a European super state? And the fact that we originally voted to belong to a Common Market? And the feeling that we have more kinship with people from the Commonwealth rather than our neighbours across the Channel?
It’s not that all the old people are unconcerned about the prospects for the young. On the contrary it’s because we are concerned with their futures that we want to take us out of this organisation and become a true player on the world stage.
One can sometimes forget that we are the sixth biggest economy on the planet from 193 countries.
rick

Post by rick » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:24 pm

I do wish we were a bit more nationally conscientious and didn't see the only jobs of value (monetary or otherwise) being the ones that come of going to university. We complain about the mess but wouldn't dream of actually sweeping it up beyond the boundary (thats a general Brit 'we' and there are of course many exceptions.) Its not the immigrants that break the car windows around here - its disillusioned nationals with an 'its all a load of s**t anyway'' attitude. (and its Warwick Uni students that bend the aerials and leave piles of black bags and pizza boxes out the front at the end of year!)
Maybe leaving the EU will gives us a new sense of meaning but in or out, I think we need to find it from within. Its not xenophobic to wave your own flag.
The grafting sheds etc. will probably be filed with Eastern Europeans for many years to come.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:01 pm

We need MORE immigration from the E.U, at all skill levels. EU migrants contribute more in taxation than they take out in benefits and services, since they are usually young, healthy and enterprising, they are essential in staffing the NHS and multiple industries especially farming and food. Ending freedom of movement is crazy - it will take away our freedom to travel, whilst reducing the numbers who come here to help our economy and services. See report; https://money.cnn.com/2017/09/06/news/e ... index.html
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 pm

Controlled immigration does not mean no immigration. I’d agree about our home grown disaffected youth. A real problem.
Rick, what on earth is a grafting shed?
rick

Post by rick » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Its an agricultural hanger scale shed at a tree nursery. Filled with lines of benches and where root-stocks are cut and grafted onto the scions (top shoots). Sowing seed into pots happened in there as well. Very often its fruit trees - huge quantities and very fast work. I visited one a few years ago and it just sprang to mind as the workforce of men and women lived in caravans and worked pretty much flat out for three months of the year.
What really blew me away was the undercutting operation. To cut the central long root off two year olds to make the roots bush out and easy to lift while the trees are still in the ground. So it involved driving a tractor at a fair pace (and a sharp start) down the line with a horizontal knife pulled on chains off the back that would plane down the whole line in one go about 8 inches below ground. Too slow and the line gets ploughed up.
That was impressive!
Thinking about it, just for the record, they would have been 1 yo saplings - undercut for transplanting into containers, grafting or selling as whips, in year 2.

Return to “The Dustbath”