Threesomes!

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Tweetypie

Threesomes!

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:02 am

I bet that got your attention. :D Before you all think I have turned into a pervert....

Went to let the hens out this morning and could only see Cindy desperate to get out. I opened up the "new" coop, incidentally this is where they lay their eggs - they sleep in the old coop - to find that Mabel, Barbie and Miss Muffet were all sat in ONE nest box, or should I say they were all trying to fit into it. I wish I had taken a photo.

I really wish I could get into their tiny brains to establish WHY they all sleep in the original coop and yet all (except Cindy) lay their eggs in the same same nest box in the NEW coop??? Just been out to find 3 eggs in there.

OH is a tad peeved that he spent time and money building that new coop for Mabel and Muffet, when 2 weeks ago they decided to move in with Barbie and Cindy in the old coop. :roll: and now it is just a giant nest box :-)11 and they say there is nowt so queer as folk.....
LadyA

Re: Threesomes!

Post by LadyA » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:26 am

I had that. Eventually, I just blocked off the spare henhouse, so they can't get in there! And yes, there are three nest boxes in the henhouse, but I too have seen hens all squeezed into the same one! Two on the bottom, and one sitting on top of them! It's like none of them will give in to be the one to leave! :roll:
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:36 am

I am pleased to know that mine aren't the only queer birds, LadyA. I don't mind them using both coops, as they only mess in the old one which they sleep in, but would love to know why they all need to share the same nestbox. I even saw Mabel sat in the nestbox around 5pm one evening. Very odd. I thought she had been taken by a bird of prey or something else when she wasn't under the shrubs with the others.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:55 pm

Ditto. Invariably when I go down to collect eggs the eggs in each hen house are all in the same nest boxes. I’ve never found them “cohabiting” but assume that the sight of one egg induces the others to lay in the same place.
PS
I don’t think there’s anything perverted about threesomes. Never done it myself but so long as it doesn’t frighten the horses, as that old saying goes!👍
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Hen-Gen wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:55 pm
PS
I don’t think there’s anything perverted about threesomes. Never done it myself but so long as it doesn’t frighten the horses, as that old saying goes!👍
:-)11 :lol: :lol: :lol:
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:45 pm

As to the eggs all being in the same box, I have caught a hen, collecting eggs from a neighbouring nest box and shuffling them along and into her's! She wasn't broody either. Just liked to pretend that she'd laid them all, I think! :mrgreen:
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigjim
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by bigjim » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:03 pm

They're crazy bits of kit, mine do the same.
You can always rely on hen-gen to be funny, nearly spat me hot chocolate out.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:03 pm

I wonder why they do it? That's so funny, shuffling the eggs along into one box. I have added more straw and ruffled the straw in all boxes. I also got OH to add a temporary tall divider between the long nestbox. Let's see what they do tomorrow morning ;-)
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:48 am

bigjim wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:03 pm
You can always rely on hen-gen to be funny, nearly spat me hot chocolate out.
I wasn’t trying to be funny, just reassuring tweetiepie that even the idea is not perverted (between consenting adults). :D
You never seemed to me to be a hot chocolate kind of guy, bigjim. More Caribbean coffee maybe!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:13 pm

I think one man is enough. Perish the thought of having to tolerate double the secret wind passing :lol:

Return to “The Dustbath”