feeling determined!

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

feeling determined!

Post by LadyA » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:09 pm

I've left my bike in for an overhaul. It's only about 4 years old, but has been sitting in a damp shed for most of that! I originally bought it for cycling to the village, thinking I wouldn't want to get the car out and drive to town if all I needed, say, was milk. The village is only about 2 1/2 miles. Mind you, it's downhill all the way there, so quite a climb all the way back! When I got the bike, I was still taking care of my husband, and couldn't go to the loo on my own, never mind out cycling. And then, after he died, I found myself far too nervous on the roads here. The main road is very busy, and traffic goes so fast. So, I never got going with the cycling! Which is a shame, because the exercise would be good for me!

Anyway, I've been here: https://outsider.ie/ireland/waterford-greenway/ walking a couple of times, and it's fabulous. So, I started to think that it would be a great place for me to cycle, even to build my confidence. And it's safe for cycling. ONly thing is, it's over 20km from me to there! And I couldn't get my bike in my car. So now, yesterday, I got the bike mostly in the car, by putting all seats except the driver's seat down, and then I had to tie the back door of the car down so it wouldn't fly up, because the rear wheel of the bike was still hanging out the back! :mrgreen: And off I went to Halfords! Dropped off the bike and bought a bike rack for the car! So, now, I'm all set!! Woo hoo!!

I just hope I do take to cycling now, because between the repairs to the bike and the carrier for the car, it's cost quite a lot! All the cables on the bike had rusted, and I just didn't trust them. I'm going to have to pad my saddle though! I've got no padding on my bum!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
MrsBiscuit

Re: feeling determined!

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:16 pm

Best of luck LadyA, I hope you do take to cycling, its a fabulous pastime and way of seeing the countryside nice and slowly as well as keeping fit and getting plenty of fresh air. That looks a lovely routeway you have chosen. My OH is a very keen cyclist, but its too hilly here for me, so my bike goes in the car as I search for flatter lands as well. I have to take the rear wheel out to fit it in the car, and I have to say I find that easier than grappling with a rack. Well actually I can't reach the roof bars, and I can't figure out the boot rack! Have you tried removing a wheel (or even both) to get the frame into the car? I used to be able to get my OH's bike into the back of a Triumph Herald (many years ago) and even now I can fit a bike into a coupe, although they do have quick release which makes it easy. I just say this in case you can as well, then you could take the rack back. Get Halfords to show you the wheel release/or how to take it off anyway if you aren't sure.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:16 pm

And it might be worth getting a WOMAN'S saddle, which is broader at the back and sides to accommodate female hips. I found it made an enormous difference in my cycling days (not any more - our hill is obviously undergoing geological shift and is getting steeper every year.)
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:26 pm

:lol:
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:24 pm

I started cycling last year, when OH stumped his toe and could no longer endure our daily 6 mile walk. He insisted the toe was broken, yet didn't seem to have a problem pedalling. Ho hum. 😏 I ride 5 evenings a week, 8 miles, for exercise. It's a chore I wish I didn't have to do, but middle age spread is beckoning 😐. Now the nights are drawing in, it will be back to walking with a torch. LadyA you can buy a padded gel seat cover from ebay cheaper than Halfords.
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:44 pm

Looks a great place to cycle Lady A. I had my bike overhauled just before I moved here 4 years ago but what with the four ties stock lorries delivering lambs to the abattoir and the size of agricultural vehicles I haven't plucked up the courage to cycle yet. I have a lady's saddle rather then the narrow racing saddle originally fitted which is much more comfortable although it is still quite hard. You need to check the various "padded bike seat covers" on eBay to be sure they will fit your saddle.
bigjim
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by bigjim » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Having endured knee pain in quite a regular occurrence, I bit the bullet and got my bike and trainer out of my mother's garage.
Set it up in my spare bedroom and do some peddling most days. It's really sorted the knee pain. Must have built the muscles up around the kneecap.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Well, I have the bike back. I just had a little teeter around my driveway, which is too small really. It's a bit nervewracking. I felt very, almost out of control, on the bike. I think it's because not only is it many (many, many!) years since I've been on a bike, but the last bike I had was a Triumph 20! Not only no gears, but also, small wheels!! This thing feels enormous, with large wheels, so every push on a pedal feels as if it's sending me shooting forward! The weather was too miserable this afernoon to go out anywhere, and there's heavy rain and wind forecast, but some day.....!
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Once you have been out a few times, you will become steady. I was all over the place when I got on my bike after 30 odd years. Not quite so bad i needed stabilisers, though. 😁
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:50 am

Tweetypie wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 pm
Once you have been out a few times, you will become steady. I was all over the place when I got on my bike after 30 odd years. Not quite so bad i needed stabilisers, though. 😁
I will (hopefully) feel safer on the Greenway, where I know there won't be any cars coming behind me!

Return to “The Dustbath”