Bonanza!

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Re: Bonanza!

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:31 pm

Very uplifting to read Hen-Gen and glad it has all worked out for you, down to hard work on your part as well. When everyone is so busy rushing about, really refreshing to hear of you enjoying a cuppa and a good old natter. Lot of that goes on down our lane.
Don't make it sound too idyllic or we will all be moving up there
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:27 pm

No-o-o! It’s a wind blasted hell hole with long dark winters, infuriating isolation and an absence of cultural pursuits.
Nearly convinced myself!
But the inexorable downward slide in the population (57 as I write this) engenders great sadness in us all, incomer and local alike. After at least 4000 years of habitation (Stone Age artefacts have been found) it would be tragic to see the collapse of a viable population on our watch. Coincidently tomorrow I am doing a short presentation in Lerwick about Fetlar to representatives from Foula, Papa Stour, Fair Isle and Out Skerries, all islands suffering similar problems. We are setting up a working group exploring ways forward.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Good luck with the presentation, or hope it went well depending on when you read this.
It is sad the decline in island living, presumably youngsters born on the island want a different style of life, several local farmers face the same sort of thing in the simple fact their children don't want to be farmers meaning farms that have been in families for generations face a very uncertain future.
I wish you luck in engendering a rosy future for the islands. Is tourism the main income on the islands these days ?
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:00 pm

There's Shetland Wool Week, which I'd love to attend, see https://www.shetlandwoolweek.com
Every year they give the pattern for a new fairisle hat, and attendees are supposed to come wearing the current version. It's a particularly nice one this year, and designed by a male knitter.
https://www.shetlandwoolweek.com/introd ... ver-henry/
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:58 am

A birdwatching friend has been to Shetland wool week and came back with a fantastic hat, he also has an equally nice one from Fair Isle complete with ear flaps.

We are off to Scotland Saturday, staying just outside Perth, just hope the weather isn't too bad. Not that it will stop us doing anything, but a mix of rain and strong winds can be a bit unpleasant
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 am

Yes bym. The aspiration of youth for a life beyond their island homes is a factor in the problem of depopulation. Also lack of employment, remoteness from essential services and the higher cost of food.
Tourism makes a contribution to our island economies but not as much as you may think. The cost of getting to Shetland is high which is why we only get a fraction of the tourist trade that Orkney does.
The conference day went OK. It was a little intimidating because also present was the leader of the Council, several of his colleagues and council officials. This did however demonstrate their commitment to finding solutions to our problems. It was also valuable to us island representatives to realise that though we have many shared problems we also have uniquely different issues ranging from transportation, inter connectivity and land ownership. Hopefully positive action will result from our entreaties.

Shetland Wool Week has grown in importance year by year and is now very much a fixture here. Also there is absolutely no stigma to men being knitters. In fact until recently knitting was on the school curriculum for all children up to 16.
Enjoy your break in Perth. Seriously wild country thereabouts. As you say, autumn sweeps in early!
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:56 pm

My grandad was a fantastic knitter, having been taught whilst in hospital recovering from an appendix operation, back in the days when that involved a two week stay in hospital. several schoolfriends dad's were knitters having also learned whilst in hospital. After double pneumonia I was sent for convalescence and learned to cross stitch which I still enjoy.
Can't quite see us dragging the youth of today away from their phones to knit though. best thing about home knitted garments, they don't go baggy at the wrist or go shapeless
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:39 pm

My dad was a better knitter than my mum! Not sure where/when he learnt to knit; possibly when he was recovering from mumps. He knitted a complete outfit for my sister who was 5 (I was 2) - leggings, jumper, thick cardigan, bonnet and mittens with squirrels on the back.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:09 pm

View the Marigold link and get knitting. I look forward to seeing all your Roadside Beanies. My preferred colours would me brown, sage green and mauve but unfortunately I can’t knit 😉
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:56 am

I love knitting, but I'm the slowest knitter in the world! Last year, I knitted a lovely jumper for my little grandson, with a paddington bear motif knitted into the front. Took me forever, and when doing the motif, there were five or six bobbins of different coloured wools hanging at the back. They drove me nuts, getting tangled up! It came out well, but I swore I'd never do anything like that again!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!

Return to “The Dustbath”