Moo

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Hen-Gen

Moo

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:40 am

96D9859F-B138-4DC6-8ADE-8170BA55EC8F.jpeg
96D9859F-B138-4DC6-8ADE-8170BA55EC8F.jpeg (130.27 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Some years ago in a fit of madness we (me and my cow partner) bought this cow (and her sister). Will soon be tucking into her first born. Her third, her daughter, is being kept to join our herd which has grown to eight.
It all seems a long time ago and any success was more luck than judgement.
PS To call her protective would be an understatement. When she has a calf it’s more a case of run for your life.
LadyA

Re: Moo

Post by LadyA » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:42 am

What is she, Hen Gen? She looks small, but incredibly solid. And I've not seen that slightly shaggy coat before, but it would make sense where you live, to have a bit of insulation!
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:16 am

Local farm has a herd of these Galloways. Fantastic animals, very intelligent, as you say good at repelling off-lead uncontrolled dogs!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks guys. I’ve grown to love them. We’re breeding them pure because we, me, him and his wife, love the breed. However just last night the other guy came visiting and to tell me that the neighbours Aberdeen Angus bull had barged through two electric fences and a real fence to have his way. So in due course one or more cross breeds. C’est la vie!
This is why I was thinking about cows and hence this post.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Beautiful! I hadn't realised how shaggy the coat was as I have only ever seen them through a car window, but there do seem to be a few herds about. Does the belt sometimes go all the way around? She looks incredibly chunkyy with a very straight topline, rather tasty I should think if she wasn't for breeding. Do your cows have names?
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:45 pm

When will you know if your cows are in calf? I wonder what the "cross" will look like. Yours is very beautiful; unusual.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Yes, the belt should go all the way around. Fortunately as a result of hiring a very good bull her calves have come correct. However we can’t mate his daughters back to him so we’re looking at AI next time.
For some traditional reason cows do get names. She is Mabel and her sister is Kylie.
We toyed with getting the vet in to give the jab that prevents any pregnancy after a mismating but rejected this because the ensuing hormonal effects can upset their normal reproductive pattern.
Pregnancy can be determined by a skilled operative quite early on but we are going to let nature take its course. All will become clear later on :D .
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:13 pm

Lovely breed and a lovely cow. Exactly what my neighbour does Hen-Gen, just let nature take it's course. Well done on the breeding front and enjoy the beef. At least you know the beef wont be full of antibiotics, steroids et al
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:33 pm

I'm lucky to live near an accredited "Rare breeds" butcher. He often has Belted Galloway beef as well as Dexter, Longhorn and others. All the meat is fantastic and traceable to source (he lists what meats they have and the farmers name and location).
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:13 pm

Ah, I've heard of Galloways, but never seen any. It's mostly dairy herds here, although there is some beef, but a lot of the beef is Aberdeen Angus, and you'd see some herefords around too.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!

Return to “The Dustbath”