Help working out breed please?

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

Sandrine
Forum Contributor / Grower

Help working out breed please?

Post by Sandrine » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi All,

I wondered if you could help me work out which breed this little bantam chick is? I was think citron dutch but not sure,...
Various ages, from 1 day to 4 1/2 weeks on the pictures attached.

Thanks
Attachments
peckford 4.png
peckford 4.png (410.23 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Peckford 2.jpg
Peckford 2.jpg (96.66 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Peckford 1.jpg
Peckford 1.jpg (59.47 KiB) Viewed 577 times
rick

Re: Help working out breed please?

Post by rick » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 pm

Awww! So good! No idea but that's made my day though!
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:15 am

Sorry, no idea, lovely chick though.
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:56 am

Thank you both,... Forgot to say that we have named this one Peckford… And at the minute, between this little one and the 3 Ancona chicks, pecking order is very much Peckford order!!!
valeriebutterley

Post by valeriebutterley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Could throw a very wild guess and say bantam buff Sussex.
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:39 pm

I thought the feathers were a little too dark for a buff sussex... But what do I know 🤭
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:44 am

I have no idea either, although my first thought is that it looks a bit big for a Dutch, unless thats a bantam Ancona? Its got yellow legs, so not a Sussex, at least not a pure one. I have raised buff crosses before, crossed with white birds, and the resulting plumage is that lovely dark buff, which I have heard described as cinnamon!
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:48 pm

I have been posting on another forum and the suggestion that everyone seems to stick with is New Hampshire Red... It is part of the list of hatching eggs that I could get from the place I got them from (Hens for Pets in Nottinghamshire). I know it is definitely a pure breed of a type of Bantam, just not sure which lol Although New Hampshire actually does make sense to be fair now, providing Peckford will be getting darker... The only thing that does not work for NHR is the fact that they are not suppose to be good flyers, and Peckford definitely is a good flyer already,... Probably got good tips of the 3 Anconas hatched in the same week.

I do know it's not an Ancona because 1) not the same colour as the other three chicks and different tail too 2) the egg was different colour too.

Thanks all
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:25 pm

Have you sent pics to Hens for Pets to see what they say?
If they don't keep their breeds separate, but allow them to crossbreed, she could be anything really. Lovely new hybrid breed!
Sandrine

Post by Sandrine » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Yes I have, and she's come back to me straight away about the Anconas (without me asking about breed actually )when I sent her pictures of the chicks about 1 week old to show her. We were pretty excited about the new experience so I wanted to say thank you more than anything else. She couldn't see enough of Peckford to say about him.
So I sent her some better pictures of Peckford later on when there were more feathers, but no reply. I have asked again in case she'd not seen my message, no still nothing. I am not sure how she keeps them to be fair... But on the website, there's no mention of crossbreeds for the hatching eggs they sell.
The lack of replies is why I am now asking the question on here and in the Backyard chicken forum.
In a way I am glad I am doing this anyway because I have already learnt so much more thanks to all you lovely members of this great forum and the BYC forum :-)
So whatever Peckford ends up being, I'll deffo be better informed about our goods friends chickens :-) (and quails)

Return to “Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers”