prepare to start scratching!!

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
LadyA

Re: prepare to start scratching!!

Post by LadyA » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Margaid wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:19 am
That would explain it then Lady A.

Just to keep the record straight I'm only talking about two or three bites at most because by that time I've taken action to deal with the problem. I've never had a flea jump off a cat onto me - it's always been well away from the cats, which is why they bite. If they've lost their natural host and need "food" they will bite anything that's likely to provide it. I suspect in my case it's ancient fleas that fall off the cat.
Yes. I think it really helps that I have no carpets at all in the house, and the two rugs I have are very thin and easily beaten out.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:12 am

It’s odd how fashions change isn’t it LadyA. We grew up with Lino and it was the height of luxury to have carpets. Nowadays, unless youre the kind of conscientious person who removes their shoes at the door, carpets are seen as dirty things that have no place in the modern home. Certainly laminate floors make life easy!
Despite having a dog and previously a cat or two I’ve never encountered a flea. This is not due to some rigorous programme of medication - just random luck.
I’ve read that some dogs have bad reactions to some treatments, particularly Border Collies, one of which I have now. Though I’m not a great advocate of alternative/holistic medicine I do wonder whether some additives to the diet have some effects. From time to time I do give my dog a treat of barely stewed lamb with a grated carrot, a tin of sardines and a crushed garlic clove. Two minutes cooking time. The resultant grey, greasy mess looks very unpalatable but I’ve always found that dogs seem to love it. I’m sure cats are much more fastidious but you never know.
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:09 am

Hen-Gen wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:12 am
It’s odd how fashions change isn’t it LadyA. We grew up with Lino and it was the height of luxury to have carpets. Nowadays, unless youre the kind of conscientious person who removes their shoes at the door, carpets are seen as dirty things that have no place in the modern home. Certainly laminate floors make life easy!
We never got carpets in, Hen Gen, because my late husband was severely asthmatic. I remember reading one time that, no matter how diligent you are about vacuuming etc., a carpet will double its weight over it's lifetime, because of ingrained dust/dirt that you just can't get out! I have had laminate laid in the bedrooms, and there's semi solid wood flooring in the living room. It was so cold in the bedrooms for years, because there was just early 1980s lino down on concrete floor. No insulation or anything, and the lino in those days was so thin! I've still got the vinyl that we had fitted in the kitchen when we bought the house in 1999. I'd love to have it replaced, maybe with laminate, but tbh, it's so much trouble! Having to shift the cooker, the fridge/freezer! At the time, we bought the absolute best, Armstrong Rhinofloor, which was very expensive, and blew our budget, but I wanted something that would last! It's got a couple of surface punctures, where knives/screwdrivers were dropped, but it still looks fine.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!

Return to “The Dustbath”