Rain !!!

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Icemaiden

Re: Rain !!!

Post by Icemaiden » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:04 pm

I was thinking of Chris this morning when I heard the news. Are you OK, Chris?

We've been blessed with the perfect kind of rain for the last two days- starting gently to soften the topsoil, then getting heavier & carrying on all day. Our drinking water comes from aquifers, so that's just what we need to start topping them up again.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Re: Rain !!!

Post by Marigold » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 am

Marigold wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 am
STILL nothing here. May was almost entirely without rain except for a downpour on the last day, over an inch in an hour. Then nothing at all in June, and only 1/2" about a week ago in July. A little bit of useless drizzle yesterday for an hour, not even 1mm in the rain gauge. Large cracks appearing in the ground of the fields and gardens.
Was driving back from Basingstoke yesterday, just after posting this, when suddenly there was a torrential downpour, rain and hail, could hardly see my way round the ring road. Immediately flooded roads, drains not able to cope. Got back OK to Whitchurch, 12 miles away - well, we had had nearly half an inch, which was welcome, but had stopped by the time we got there.
The river Test, which runs through the town, is lower than I've ever seen it, only just covering the gravel bed. So our chalk aquifers must be very low by now, after a dry winter.

Return to “The Dustbath”