Duck egg EMERGENCY!

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

Metapuns
Newcomer / Hatchling

Duck egg EMERGENCY!

Post by Metapuns » Wed May 16, 2018 10:11 pm

I made a post yesterday about how my heating lamp had shut off. The egg seemed fine and all vital signs returned.
There's been another complication... Because I don't have an incubator or experience it's been a miracle this abandoned egg has survived for 12 days now. Today the temperature had a major spike up to 40C. I cant find a pulse or movement. I've been candling it often because I've been worried about its condition. I noticed the egg has 2 clear shapes which I assume are the embryo but also one large dark spot (marked it with ???). Here's an illustration of the egg:
egg.png
egg.png (99.64 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Last edited by Metapuns on Thu May 17, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metapuns
Newcomer / Hatchling

Re: Duck egg scare! Help! (Part 2)

Post by Metapuns » Thu May 17, 2018 12:14 am

super worried... still no movement
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: Duck egg EMERGENCY!

Post by chrismahon » Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 am

I've never been able to candle an egg with that detail Metapuns, but the chick will have its head under one wing and the dark area may be the large beak. All you can do is wait. I'm not sure if they can stand such a high temperature, even for a short period, so it may be bad news unfortunately.
Metapuns
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by Metapuns » Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 am

chrismahon wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 6:52 am
I've never been able to candle an egg with that detail Metapuns, but the chick will have its head under one wing and the dark area may be the large beak. All you can do is wait. I'm not sure if they can stand such a high temperature, even for a short period, so it may be bad news unfortunately.
After some research and observation the duck has passed. I found blood spots and the veins have popped... I'll keep incubating till this weekend just in case.
rick

Post by rick » Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 pm

I think you did incredibly well, Metapuns, to get as far as you did without an incubator or at least a thermostat.

Return to “Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers”