Bus chatter

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Bus chatter

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:08 pm

This is a good one.
rather large young girl in her 20's got on the bus with 3 rather large children, and starts up this conversation with her friend
" I am going to change my doctor he said to me all my tests show I have high cholesterol 15.2, my blood pressure is high, and I am morbidly obese, and have diabetes. He was going on like this means I could die of it. I got to see the nurse for a dietary advice, like I don't know what to eat. I am not going onto all that salad and veg stuff it aint good for you. I am going to get one that doesn't go on at you"
This is going to be interesting following the progress of this one as she is a regular. The children were all eating large sized chocolate bars at 8am and then they were going into Mcdonalds
Marigold

Re: Bus chatter

Post by Marigold » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Do keep us updated!
I expect her current doctor will be glad to see her go, if she lasts long enough to get as far as the new one.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Slapper!
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:07 pm

I love the planet on which you have to work BYM!
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:16 am

Isn't it awful though, that she's teaching her children this? My sixteen month old grandson's favourite foods are tomatoes and home made plain yogurt, although he's developing a fondness for homemade pizza now too. His "treats" are blueberries (cut in half) cut up grapes and occasionally, mini rice cakes. His mum though can get through a donut in seconds! She says it's getting harder to eat stuff like chocolate or cake now, because he realises that it's something he isn't getting, and will reject what he has, pointing to her's saying "this! this!" :mrgreen:
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:00 pm

That's jut what I thought Lady A. No doubt she learnt to eat this way from her parents.
Had a customer today concerned about shops stopping using plastic as it could mean Tesco stop selling mashed potato, cut vegetables and boiled eggs as they all come in plastic tubs. I just thought we are rapidly heading towards the next generation not preparing or cooking food at all.
At least your grandson is heading along the right path which gives me hope.
Also had someone leave a phone on a bus and they rang up on said phone to ask if we had found the phone. I had great fun with that as she seemed totally oblivious to the fact that we must have it as I had answered it. I got her to describe the phone, and call back to see if we had found it
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:36 pm

You rotter! Must say though I don't blame you and it's good that you can see the funny side. When I remember some of the "bus chatter" you used to post on the other forum ...

I must admit that, things being the way they are at the moment I sometimes get seduced into buying something ready prepared/cooked, especially if it's been reduced! Every time I do I swear I'll never do it again but ... My 10 and 11 year old great-nephews like nothing better than a plate of crudites to "keep them going" while dinner is prepared, and have done since they were 5 or 6 years old.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:11 am

Your stories are always entertaining, bym. They remind me of Sharon and Tracey from Viz magazine. Sad though that fiction mirrors reality.

On the subject of Viz I'd assumed that it had been wound up years ago. I was delighted when a neighbour I was visiting had a current copy on his table. I particularly enjoyed a character who I'd not seen before called Ivan Jellicalls - He's a Born Again Christian.

I have to plead guilty, Margaid, to buying frozen, pre-prepared vegetables from Tesco on my twice yearly trips to town. They're 'fresher' than the manky old vegetables you can get in this remote outpost of civilisation. And an indefensible act of idleness, I always buy packets of ready to use crumble topping.

'Crudites, Rodney, crudités'. Perhaps I used to watch too much TV.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:45 pm

Frozen broad beans and peas are superior to the 'fresh' ones you buy in shops. Apart from the fact that only large and tough broad beans ever seem to be on sale, the sugar content of peas, also sweetcorn, decreases very rapidly upon picking, within a few hours. So peas which are frozen straight from the field are the nearest you can get to home-grown ones, and I've stopped buying sweetcorn now I don't have my allotment any more, it just doesn't compare. The tiny tender broad beans were lovely, but I realised that it took much more investment of time per portion, to grow, harvest and shell them, than it did to eat them - gone in a flash.
And why can't you ever buy runner beans that are truly young and tender? Supermarkets etc only seem to sell expensive, plastic-wrapped, huge ones that I would put on the compost heap. Mine were picked at a max. 9" long and you never needed to snap them to remove any stringy bits. Runner beans are so prolific that there's no reason to wait until they're too big to enjoy.
And don't get me started on asparagus. I remember eruptions of huge, fat, disturbingly phallic spears, made your pee smell funny, but incredible taste.... Nothing like the tasteless, anorexic strands packaged in styrofoam and plastic film.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:00 pm

Truth be told, Marigold I've never had home grown asparagus. But I love the supermarket version and rather enjoy the resulting toilet smells (also a feature of Sugar Puffs). So I can only drool over the possibility of the real Mcoy.
I'm soon to be taking possession of my share of a 30 month Galloway bullock. That is one half so my freezers will be bulging. What with my own lamb and locally caught sea food I feel very comfortable. But turbot, my favourite, is a rare treat. I've asked the fish monger in Lerwick to phone me when he has any but I suspect that my accent puts me bottom of the pile! :D

Return to “The Dustbath”