Who laid this egg?

The place to discuss everything else to do with chickens.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

rick

Re: Who laid this egg?

Post by rick » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:02 am

I am as in the dark with mine (except Bonnie, shade of pinky brown.) A suprise today was when I was taking to our neighbour at the back, because I removed the wind break at the back today... We were talking and Linden jumps on top of Lulu and succeeded in mateing. I didn't think he could do that due to the size difference.
Keeping quiet about the potentially furtile eggs as I don't want to put anyone off.
It was funny because my neighbour had just said 'Linden looks very pleased with himself!' Yes, and now we know why!
It is a bit of a problem not knowing who laid the egg. At the moment there are enough eggs to be sure that all are laying fairly constantly but it would be good to know which one stopped, if it was just one, when the numbers drop.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:14 am

Yes, exactly - that's my main reason for wanting to know who was laying which type of egg. I've always been able to do this before, given a variety of breeds in the first place.
Good life for Linden anyway. Do your neighbours realise you have a boy in there? If so, are they ignorant of the facts of life? I had two visiting children last week, age 9, new to hens. They looked in wonder at the eggs they collected and then one asked 'When will they hatch?"
LadyA

Post by LadyA » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:41 am

One way you could try to find out who's laying what, is to dab a little paste food colouring on the hen's vent. Different colour for each hen. The colour tends to come off on the egg as it's being laid.
Lead me not into temptation. I can find the way myself!
rick

Post by rick » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:15 am

Yes, that's a good way.
The only way I can think of to make it observable on a day to day basis, as simply as possibly though not exactly simple really, would be weighing scale sensors as nest box floor and logging the data.
It would be very interesting and also log the hens weights, I think closely enough to identify the layer and the egg deposited (only way to know is to experiment) -
But, of course, way over the top!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:11 pm

I made some progress today. I noticed that Daisy and Violet were both in the nest boxes, so I had a peep and saw that they were using separate boxes. When they emerged I swooped on the eggs and wrote D on one and V on the other. (Of course, knowing this lot, they might have swapped over boxes before actually laying.) Then later on, when the third egg was laid I knew it must be Iris. This was a small egg, only 42 grams, when hers are normally well over 60g, which confirmed me in the belief that Iris was the bird who laid two eggs yesterday, one of which was yet another double yolker, so really she laid three yesterday! I had expected she would have a day off, but she's a little worker - probably not long for this world. Looks as if she was averaging things out today.
Looking at the three pinky-fawn eggs with initials on, I can see differences in colour and texture, though it will be tricky to get to the stage where I can reliably attribute a single egg without the others for comparison. But at least it's a start!
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:25 pm

You'll have to crack them carefully, rinse them out and keep them as your reference!
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:17 pm

What a very good idea - thank you Margaid - I'll definitely do that.

Return to “Any Other Discussion About Chickens”