Osprey return

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!

Re: Osprey return

Postby Marigold » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Good point, Margaid - and the same as chickens - I think you have to leave 2 weeks between cockerels, don't you?
Marigold

Postby rick » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:20 pm

I am guessing that neither Mrs G or Aran mind who the father is (in that it could be either or both.) Mrs G was happy with HR7 as a fine figure of an osprey but he didn't get the chance to pass the second test of being a reliable provider (the more important job) as Aran took over.
I wonder if Mrs G's 'decition' to fertilize and lay is made sooner knowing Aran has already proved himself reliable because if so it would up the chance of HR7's sperm still being viable?
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Margaid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Subsequent eggs could well be Aran's however.

No sign of Glesni at the Dyfi project, but she isn't really late - yet.
Margaid
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby bigyetiman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:14 pm

Glesni has been known to turn up in May. Given the weather patterns, it is likely she is held up somewhere. Plenty are been seen coming into the country so fingers crossed she will be back soon.
At least she will arrive to warmer weather, it's been more like November for the last two days with fog all day
bigyetiman

Postby rick » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Margaid wrote:Subsequent eggs could well be Aran's however.

It's fascinating to see all the checks and insurance policies they are using to give their one chance for the year the maximum chance of success.
If I understand properly Mrs G will flood her ovaries with everything she has saved up - so there would be a very small chance of any egg, first or last, being fertilised by HR7.
rick
Part of the Flock

Postby Margaid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Been pretty horrible here too BYM - have had to have the lights on indoors!

Hope it improves by mid- May 'cos I have hopes of meeting up with you possibly at Glaslyn.
Margaid

Postby bigyetiman » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Absolutely Margaid, we were just discussing it over a meal at the local, just celebrating the OH putting up with me for 9 years.
She really needs a medal.
Some "expert" from the met office was saying it was going to be a really hot May. I do hope he is right.
Saw our first Swallows of the year today, in the fog, bet they were thinking "God wish we had stayed in Africa" Totally weird bird sightings on the inner Thames in the gloom, Arctic Skuas, Great Skuas, Black necked Grebes, rafts of sea duck, more like Shetland than London
bigyetiman

Postby Marigold » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:16 pm

i hope the weather is better for you this year than it was for us all in 2017. So does Mrs G, by the look of today's photo on FB.

"Mrs G and 'that' look this morning.
Despite the miserable cold mist that enveloped the valley today making fishing difficult, Aran was again seen prospecting the Glaslyn river off the Cob Embankment at Porthmadog on two occasions. This appears to be the best place to see him fishing at the moment.
Better weather is forecast for next week with temperatures expected to reach a sizzling 24 degrees. Hopefully we'll have our first egg of the 2018 season by then. And a more cheerful Mrs G! "

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5B6F4A73
Marigold

Postby Marigold » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:39 pm

Marigold

Postby Margaid » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:01 am

Mrs G has laid an egg! :-)08 Her 46th at Glaslyn apparently.

Still no sign of Glesni at the Dyfi Project :(
Margaid

PreviousNext

Return to The Dustbath