nature notes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: nature notes

Post by dianefairhall »

Hen-Gen wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:33 am
Me to. Having said that I’d like to see them gone from here because they are an introduced species which eat the eggs of ground nesting birds.
It's a real shame when that happens. They were introduced to South Uist (allegedly to keep down the slugs) but had to be exterminated after decimating the eggs of ground nesting birds. `we don't have them here - and we don't seem to have many slugs, either.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Well today I spotted 3 things which I have posted about before but not all on the same day
a) a pair of Egyptian grasshoppers mating (why did I have to chose to pull up some weeds from the middle of this particular perennial of all the plants in the garden? I bent down and my hand came very close to the pair!)
b) a predator swooped down between me and OH about 6ft off the ground on its way to pinch a sparrow or similar. It was fast and brown and heavier than your average garden bird, it passed in a blur. From its trajectory it must have been perched either on our satellite dish or possibly on a telegraph pole.
c) we have another solitary glowworm, right up next to the house, do they have some sort of homing instinct I wonder between generations, they are always to be found within a 6ft radius.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

That’s nature red in tooth and claw, Mrs Biscuit.
Yesterday a friend here found a ewe struggling feebly with its eyes and tongue removed by a bunch of crows. These birds quarter the island looking for the weak or sickly.
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

I think I got off lightly yesterday. Just one baby rabbit which had chosen to end its days on the steps up to our back lawn. It moved its back legs slightly when I picked it up, but that was all. No sign of mixi.

By this morning it had passed away so I wrapped it in newspaper & laid it to rest in the food waste bin, as people eat rabbit. It seemed more sensible than putting it in the garden waste bin...

I've never seen as many rabbits in our garden as we have this year. There are dozens of them & that's just the ones that we see...
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

That's redder than anything I have encountered HG. I know its nature, but its still desperately sad.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Like the time we watched a Heron grab and eventually swallow a Little Grebe, they are also fond of Lapwing chicks as are the Crows. As a friend of mine says "Lapwings, nature's biscuits, everything snacks on them"
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Sparrowhawk perched on a bush on the rockery in our garden this morning. Usually they just swoop through and take a tasty snack from the bird feeders.

[attachment=0]BA5E6134-DCE9-4C38-ACB0-3B15DC309F24.jpeg[/attachment
Attachments
6410FC1C-1000-4A79-A4AC-B6D6B3E73EA1.jpeg
6410FC1C-1000-4A79-A4AC-B6D6B3E73EA1.jpeg (186.61 KiB) Viewed 229 times
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

Wow fantastic rockery. Was the Sparrowhawk waiting for the train :lol: :lol: :lol:
You must post a picture of train going around, I take it Tony built the railway
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

We both built the railway. All 900 feet of it with 3 stations and 2 halts. One day back in 1990 I left Tony tucked up in bed with man flu and I went off to work. Whilst I was out he got bored and went down town and bought a garden railway magazine for something to read. By the time I got home he had measured the garden and drawn up the plans. It took the best part of 20 years. I mixed most of the many tons of concrete for the foundations of the track and we got quite good at moving the 25 tons of rock used to make 2 rockeries. We had to have rockeries so we could have tunnels. Then we had to have Norfolk Terriers because they were the right size to run through the tunnels when chasing cats out of the garden.
The railways has actually been out of use for the past 9 years because Tony took up again with his first love ie flying model planes and spent his time up at the flying field. Last year the railway virus emerged again and he began refurbishing the track and stations. The past few weeks in lockdown have been used to get ready to run again and today we had the first go steaming up a train. I did take some video including a hilarious shot of Poppy running away down the track and having her bum nudged by a following train. She's only 6 so hadn't ever seen trains running before. Unfortunately I don't think you can post video on here.
The sparrowhawk was surprising. It just sat there whilst I was creeping nearer.
Margaid

Post by Margaid »

You can put it on Youtube and post the link ... Don't ask me how though!!

Return to “The Dustbath”