nature notes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Re: nature notes

Post by bigyetiman »

Glad to be of help Hen-Gen.
OH has a book called "The Language of Birds" full of all sort of facts. Including a section on myths and legends. If you eat a Jay your spouse will drop dead, if you sleep on a bed of partridge you will have an easy death, but don't eat one if you're pregnant because you will have quads at the very least.
I love this one.
The magpie, didn't wear full mourning to Christs crucifixion and was punished by having to carry a drop of Satan's blood under it's tongue, therefore the devil can see you if a magpie is around. So you have to say Good Morning Mr Magpie, then Satan knows you are aware he is about. For good measure, take your hat off and cross your fingers to ward off any evil spirits that may be hanging around at the same time.
A stick from a Kites nest will cure a headache !
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

It’s Throssel Hole, HenGen. We spent over 20 years in Buddhist practice centred there. Beautiful, wild, isolated place way out in the moors. Curlews calling all through meditation sessions.
Also sudden, low-flying jets to keep you awake in the afternoon.
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen »

That’s right Marigold. Apologies for my spelling error.
It is indeed an awesome place and one which has stamped an indelible mark upon my consciousness. Sometimes I feel as though my life is running to a pre ordained script with different experiences being visited upon me as and when I am ready to receive them. Certainly Throssel Hole is one of those half dozen or so that have been defining moments.
Bit serious on a poultry website on a cold sunny Tuesday afternoon!
I too remember the curlews. Hence the inscription on my gravestone:-

light and water dance
a curlew summons the wind
no questions remain

I’m sure my husband would not mind me revealing his which is:-

frosted reeds of light
timeless pools of gay colour
endless searches end

(even at the end he can’t resist a double entendre)

(with apologies to all Haikuists)
A cottage on an island in the eye of the storm
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

So poetic, HG. Really quite moving.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

They are both really lovely Hen-Gen. Such an evocative sound the Curlew. From the moorland in summer and on an estuary in winter
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Yesterday I saw 3 firsts for me. I was just getting the car out in the afternoon when I saw a sparrow or something similar chasing something else, flying through the air after each other. It turned out to be an egyptian grasshopper, which is like a locust, so pretty big, smaller than a wren but to all intents and purposes it is like a mini-bird. I don't know what the sparrow was doing, as the grasshopper was surely too big to eat?

Later we saw a pair of redstarts doing a vertical dance in the air - not sure if that was mating or aggression! Looked more like mating.

And lastly, shortly after the redstarts, we saw 3 hoopooes flying across, one after the other. I presume it was a family?
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

3 Hoopoe's lucky you.
Warning Moth pic alert for those of you that find them scary.
But we finally got a hawk Moth in the moth trap last night. A Poplar Hawk Moth, also a Canary shouldered Thorn which was colourful
Attachments
Canary-shouldered Thorn.JPG
Canary-shouldered Thorn.JPG (39.13 KiB) Viewed 29 times
Poplar Hawk Moth.JPG
Poplar Hawk Moth.JPG (89 KiB) Viewed 29 times
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

I've heard of the poplar, but never seen one. Its odd how we find butterflies so charming, but moths less so. I am in awe of their abilities to disguise themselves as bits of random twig or whatever. Thanks for sharing the photos, BYM.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

just for you MrsBiscuit the pale prominent looking like a piece of wood or bark.

I must look up your Egyptian grasshopper
Attachments
Pale Prominent.JPG
Pale Prominent.JPG (108.68 KiB) Viewed 27 times
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Just brilliant! I remember the first time I saw a moth in disguise, I would have had no idea what it was until it moved. I found it completely wonderous then, and I still do! In the past couple of days I have seen an ant carrying a small spider and managing to look like it was a small scorpion. OH always says its a good job ants aren't larger or we will all go in fear of our lives!

Return to “The Dustbath”