nature notes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
bigyetiman

Re: nature notes

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:16 pm

I should think possum gloves count. Your geological formation being linked with the Appalachian mountains sounds more exciting than the line of flint in the chalk cliffs locally which is known as Whitakers 3 inch band and stretches right down to the chalk cliffs at Dover, I learnt that at school and like ox bow lake it is firmly lodged in my brain
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sun May 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Well after a long gap where all it seemed to do was rain, we now have a period of heat. This morning I watched a pair of broad bodied chaser dragonflies mate in mid air over a patch of water, then the female dipped her abdomen down to lay eggs about 20 times, whilst her mate waited, then they flew off together. I also watched a female lay eggs in the same patch of water yesterday.

We also saw a raptor circling, fairly close to the ground and house to check it out, before going upwards and away to glide about on the thermals. We got the super binoculars out, but still not very expert at identification. However, it had a lot of white on the underside and I can discount many birds. We have narrowed it down to either a Bonelli's eagle or less likely an juvenile Imperial Spanish eagle. Both are rare in Portugal, but my research reveals there are tens of breeding pairs, and the ISE is known to be in our region. They both nest in tall pines/large eucalypts and that is what we are surrounded by. Both eat rabbit a lot, and we don't have many around here but the Bonelli in particular feasts on red legged partridge, which we do have, plus the usual rodents/birds etc. The research also reveals a great difference in size, but when the bird is so high and far away its hard to accurately decide how big it is! We are quite excited and are hoping for a repeat viewing. I know that there is a pair of whatever this is, nesting quite close by, its been there for either one or possibly two summers.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Tue May 21, 2019 10:56 am

Sounds amazing, see if you can get a few pics, don't have to be perfect, and I am sure somebody will be able to I D it for you.
OH came across a Wryneck this morning on a local survey, which she was dead pleased about, and a Great White Egret did a fly by.

Return to “The Dustbath”