nature notes

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Icemaiden
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: nature notes

Post by Icemaiden » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:52 pm

I loved your moth's ears. Quite amazing!
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:03 pm

This evening I went to close the Velux windows in my glass studio & spotted & heard a family of goldcrests in a conifer, begging food from mum. So cute, and the first time in 17 years that I've seen goldcrests in our garden. They were less than 6' from me, as I was upstairs at nearly treetop height.

To cap all, when I sat out in the garden with the "girls", I found the abandoned nest on the lawn. A work of art. Sorry I don't know how to post photos taken on my phone...
Last edited by Icemaiden on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:44 pm

I love goldcrests. I havn't seen any finches, blackbirds, bluetits etc for at least 2 months!! Not sure if it because of this heatwave, or the fact that they have had their babies and gone somewhere else. They were certainly well fed by me during the first half of the year.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:07 am

We had some American family staying, the Dad is originally Portugeuse. He saw a European Goldfinch in our garden and it made him so happy, as he said he hadn't seen one since his childhood in Portugal.

Yesterday I saw a green grasshopper on a green hollyhock leaf, slowly eating it. We also have leaf cutter bees who cut such perfect circles in leaves - I was not pleased to see the rose bush eaten, but highly delighted to see a bramble being attacked. We watched a bee, with a leaf, take it into a large log where I presume it is making a nest or burrow or whatever bees live in.

I also saw a female blackbird hopping about on the ground under the trees. Then there was a constant tapping noise, coming from a forsythia bush. She went to investigate, and so did I, slowly. She went to roost in the bush, and I couldn't see in well enough. It went on for several minutes and was a bit like the sound of a thrush bashing a snail shell on the ground. I still don't know what it was, but I think it was bird related.

Return to “The Dustbath”