Advice for run structure please!

The place to discuss chicken coops and runs.

Moderators: Marigold, victorias poultry

rick

Re: Advice for run structure please!

Post by rick »

Perfect - love the double doors!
bozza
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by bozza »

Hi everyone, thanks for your lovely comments!! We are really pleased with the run and the chooks are now in and settling in nicely with no fuss. I will attach some photos in a moment. I will also update you on how bedtime goes as I’m pretty sure none of them have ventured into the coop (I caught a couple of them having a peep in, but none brave enough to go in yet I don’t think!), so I’m guessing I will have to put them in myself. That will be interesting as I’m not very confident at handling them yet!! Big but fun learning curve for me. We have enjoyed them so much already, some of their personality traits were evident almost straight away and they have had us in stitches! The kids have enjoyed naming a couple of them and we have spent lots of time this afternoon just watching them...who knew how relaxing it could be??!! I’ll never get anything done now. If I don’t manage to label the photos, the photo with them in transit (dog cage) is the best one to tell you their names on, so from left to right: Agnes (white Sussex), Louisa (Bluebell), Pippa (Columbia blacktail), Betty (pied Sussex) and Ruth (copper black).
bozza

Post by bozza »

The girls!!
Attachments
AB2D12C3-8529-49A8-996C-7B387EE9FF52.jpeg
AB2D12C3-8529-49A8-996C-7B387EE9FF52.jpeg (127.19 KiB) Viewed 311 times
bozza

Post by bozza »

Bedtime update: So, amazingly, as it started to get dark, they all started to go in to the coop. Pippa, who has so far seemed the most shy and submissive, was, by far, the most focused and only went in and came back out a couple of times. Agnes, Louisa and Betty couldn’t make their minds up for a good 20-30 mins but eventually went in and didn’t come back out. Ruth, on the other hand, didn’t show much interest in the coop and after a while flew on to the top of the coop. It’s a domed recycled plastic roof, so not very roost-conducive!! She flew down and then surprised us by flying up into the rafters. She looked a bit like she regretted her decision and kept looking like she wanted to get down. I helped her down and then she just looked like she wanted to go back up again. I didn’t know whether to leave her, as it’s clear she was following her instincts and wanted to be up high, bless her. I’m not sure if I did the wrong thing but I eventually scooped her up and put her in the coop with the others and shut the pop hole door. Once they’re settled and established in to a routine I will leave the pop hole open but I wanted them to know that that’s where they go to bed. Hope I did the right thing...
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman »

They look lovely, just like our assortment.
Our latest lot when we got them last August were a bit clueless as to going to bed in the coop. First night I picked them up and put them in, next night 4 went in, 7 on top of coop, put them in, 3rd 7 went, 3 had to be put in. 4th night all went in on their own.
They soon get the hang of it, and realise a coop is nice and snug and safe.
Looking forward to updates, and when morehensdisease strikes :lol: :lol: :lol:
bozza

Post by bozza »

Ahh, thank you big yeti man!! I seem to think I’ve read threads on here relating to tales of bedtime confusion, so it makes me feel better that others have had the same experiences! Fingers crossed tomorrow night will be smoother although apart from Ruth I was quite proud of them!!
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Lovely picture!
When you look inside the coop after roosting time, it's good to check whether anyone is sitting on the floor or in the nest boxes, and if so, lift them on to a perch. This is easy once they've gone to sleep, they won't panic. Pullets are usually raised in barns and may not have experienced perches before. Getting them trained to perch from the start saves a lot of problems and dirty nest boxes later on.
rick

Post by rick »

It takes a while to settle in and more might find the rafters tempting along the way but you have a secure run so you have the luxury of letting them get to know each other in their own time and dont have to have them all in the coop as it is safe enough anywhere (except the nest box - safe but not a good place to sleep!) Your car looks like a space ship - especially at that angle :)
bozza

Post by bozza »

Thank you Rick and Marigold!! Latest update: Firstly, I LOVE THEM SO MUCH! They are very funny and always happy to see me. And in all if this Covid madness they are a lovely source of calm and sanity with all the uncertainty and stress at work. I am so grateful to come home to them. Pecking order is starting to be established now they are settling in...that’s interesting but there’s lots of room and things to do so the only squabbling seems to surround exciting food so I make sure to always have two offerings to split them up a bit! Night times: I have trained them all to perch at night. Last two nights I’ve not had to block off the nesting boxes and they’ve stayed out. Ruth’s high perching adventures were a one off once she discovered the perches in the coop. If she wants to do it in the summer if it gets too hot at least I can let her as my run is nice and safe. And today we got our first, very small but perfect egg. My daughter is off school and has been going in to see them, poo pick and give them the odd bit of treat. She thinks it was the bluebell, Louisa. I had a feeling she might be coming into lay as she was easily crouching even if my hand was only slightly outstretched near her. She’d also been sizing up the nesting boxes at the weekend as she was going in and out of the coop during the day. Agnes is doing it too so I’m guessing she might be next. I will attach the photo of the lovely egg! It made what has been a tough day a very lovely day!!
Bit small for this egg cup!!
Bit small for this egg cup!!
E2249AAE-FC66-4434-B381-9DA51F1E2ACB.jpeg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

How lovely. You just got them sorted in time didn't you - well worth all that hard work. First eggs are always exciting - who will get to eat it? Will everybody else sit round watching?

Return to “Chicken Houses, Runs & Equipment”