My hens have started laying!

The place to discuss incubating, hatching and rearing chickens.

Moderator: pebojuno

dianefairhall
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Re: My hens have started laying!

Post by dianefairhall »

A while back I gave them some salad leaves (delivered as a sub by Tesco). I hate them and so did the hens. I have an iceberg in the fridge so I'll try them with that.
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Went to let the hens out this morning, still pretty dark here at 8.15, but they were already out! Asked OH if he'd done it, no, somehow they'd let themselves out. Has anyone heard of hens doing a Houdini out of an Eglu Classic?
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Found two eggs this morning. One was on the floor where Izzie always lays hers but the other was in the nest box. They looked almost identical again similar colour, size and weight. Wondering if Morag has started laying but her eggs should be dark brown. Very confused.
Tweetypie

Post by Tweetypie »

Im getting 3 eggs a day now, which means Barbie and Sindy are taking it in turns, but wow what whoppers Sindy's eggs are. Ive had doubled yolked ones in the past. Just look at some of these Sindy has laid, against the normal one Barbie laid. One of them wouldn't fit in the egg box. DIane, do you give yours the dark "greens", the cheaper cabbage like leaves? That's what I feed mine daily, along with grass clippings, when possible.
Attachments
sindyseggs.jpg
sindyseggs.jpg (62.47 KiB) Viewed 620 times
dianefairhall

Post by dianefairhall »

Wow, those are huge! I haven't given them dark greens yet but I'll put some baby spinach on my Tesco order for tomorrow. We don't have a lot of choice here.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Four out of five today, what a lovely surprise. They've been battling on since November at one or two a day. Lily still laying those funny ones with a flat side and a thin spot, but today's didn't have a hole in it.

Return to “Incubating, Hatching, Rearing Chicks & Growers”