One small step..........

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
Marigold

Re: One small step..........

Post by Marigold » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:03 pm

I'll eat most things, but NOT;
- coriander
- chillies
- more than a small taste of garlic
- more than small contribution of aubergine.

I LOVE parsnips, roasted, in soup, sliced in stirfries, any way really - but my husband won't eat them so usually I don't include them when just cooking for two.
bigjim
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by bigjim » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:22 pm

Think we can safely say you're not one for going to an Indian restaurant then marigold.
All those things are in abundance.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:01 pm

Yes, dead right - prefer Chinese or Thai. Or proper fish and chips, as HenGen suggests.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:04 pm

I love Chinese, but the OH she loathes it, but loves parsnips, roasted, baked, soup. I hate them.Tomato's can't stand them either
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:11 am

The whole question of personal preference interests me bigyetiman. Since, to use you as an example, Chinese food and tomatoes are completely harmless how do these preferences develop. It’s not childhood experiences because until I was about 15 I ate nothing but potatoes and peas in the vegetable line. Now except for egg plants I love everything. Even sprouts which I detested as a kid.
It makes me wonder whether some inherited and unique characteristic facet of our physiology makes foods that would be deleterious to us at an individual level taste unattractive. Clearly we do vary at an individual level, asparagus and the subsequent odour of urine being an example. With this one the split is about 60/40.
Now I can bore the paint off the walls with my views on evolutionary biology. Perhaps I should have taken up stamp collecting or football instead.
Certainly we have, or seem to, an antipathy to purple foods. Is this why in chemists shops toxic chemicals used to come in purple glass bottles. Is it what warns us off purple berries many of which are highly toxic and as fruit eating monkeys would have been quite seductive. Which brings me back to aubergines.
Most people find the smell of decomposing meat repulsive. Yet presumably blow flies and vultures don’t. Animals are usually repelled by the smell of their own species dung. And yet my dog loves eating/rolling in many other species faeces. One can deduce reasons for this connected with cross infection or in the case of my dog perhaps concealing it’s odour from prey species but how does such learnt behaviour become embedded at the genetic level? Epigenetics?
Told you I could bore for Britain!
There was an experiment where mice were periodically exposed to the smell of cherry blossom and at the same time given an electric shock. Unsurprisingly they soon learnt to avoid this smell. And yet more surprisingly their offspring also had this aversion.
Planarian worms which have an aversion to light were given electric shocks every time they crawled towards darkness. They soon learnt to crawl towards the light. And yet if they were killed and fed to other planarian worms then these too crawled towards the light.
There’s a lot to be discovered!
Last edited by Hen-Gen on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
rick

Post by rick » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:40 am

Evolution is blind to the future. One day a primitive dog had the crazy notion to roll in fox poo (genetic weirdo!) But it worked in some way and it was a little more successful for being a complete loon. The offspring feel an odd compulsion to do the same etc. etc.
What I really don't get is why fox poo? Surely thats like a hunter dressing in Christmas lights!

... I find this subject fascinating, not boring at all Hen Gen. But it does go on and on and on ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow
We share an advanced System 2 with Corvids and several of the higher Mammals at least. In terms of conscious thought and why an animal does a thing, it gets us tied in knots because System 2 can post-rationalise decisions that were initially (and very quickly) made by System 1.
Last edited by rick on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:24 am

Hen-Gen's recipe reminds me of the first recipe in Paul Harris' book "Cooking with beer". It says
"Take one can of lager. Open lager and pour down sink" :-)
Mind you, the book was published by CAMRA... ;-)
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:27 am

In the spirit of science, may I offer this link which attempts to explain why most people find the smell of their own emissions quite attractive, whilst being disgusted by those originating from others. If you're a bit squeamish you might not want to click this link, but I thought it was an interesting contribution to the discussion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPC7e8W ... tion=share
Hen-Gen

Post by Hen-Gen » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Marigold wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:27 am
In the spirit of science, may I offer this link which attempts to explain why most people find the smell of their own emissions quite attractive, whilst being disgusted by those originating from others. If you're a bit squeamish you might not want to click this link, but I thought it was an interesting contribution to the discussion.
Brilliant Marigold. Educative and funny! 😷
Margaid

Post by Margaid » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Hen-Gen wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:10 pm
Marigold wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:27 am
Brilliant Marigold. Educative and funny! 😷
I thought so too, but they overlooked one point. One of my aunts told me I'd know when I'd met the right man because even his farts would smell lovely! No comment :roll:

Return to “The Dustbath”