Where is everybody?

The place to chat, fluff your feathers, and let off steam!
dinosaw
Part of the Flock

Re: Where is everybody?

Post by dinosaw » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:24 pm

Margaid wrote:According to a statement made by the Ministry of Defence, bomb disposal squads defuse about 60 WW2 bombs a year - double eh rate in Germany Dinosaw.
The vast majority of those are small 1kg and 2kg incendiary's Margaid, which aren't bombs as we would understand them. They only defuse around 4 or 5 of the big 250 and 500 kg bombs each year (which I'm sure is quite enough to be going on with). If you included the smaller stuff in the German figures then you would be into four figures for the year, they've lost 11 bomb disposal men over the last 20 years.
bigyetiman
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by bigyetiman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:25 am

They had a map on the local news last night showing where bombs/incendiary devices had been found in London and then figures of the estimated number of explosive devices dropped on the capital. Then the next news item was a map of all the properties owned by foreign companies strangely enough.
If you had ever been to Tilbury Margaid.... The career choice is shall I have a child at 15 or 16. It has a huge traveller community also. We had to stop buses running there at nights for a long while as the local hobby was throwing bricks through the windows. Long gone are the days of it being full of hard working dock workers.
Margaid
Part of the Flock

Post by Margaid » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Are there any docks full of hard working dock workers? When you see how they shift containers at Felixstowe ...
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:50 pm

The over-population problem is solving itself. Today I found the little Blacktail hunched up in the coop, looking very poorly, limp and immobile, with eggy muck running out of her vent. Obviously peritonitis - I don't think she would have made it to the morning and was probably in great pain. So I took her out and culled her. That was only the second time had culled a hen myself, I usually take them to the vet, but it was obviously necessary and I was relieved at how easy it actually was. She was one of the two youngest hybrids, and the leghorn, the other one I bought at the same time from the same place, is still having problems with a mucky bum so I shall dispatch her as well. This will leave the three oldest hens, not really what was planned! Those three are all from Chalk Hill Poultry - all the birds I've had from them since 2009 have been really long-lived and healthy. The two who are on the way out are from somewhere else, normal mass-produced hybrids, OK for 2-3 years and then they seem to keel over. Chalk Hill is one of the very few farms who produce their own birds and run them on grass paddocks up to the point of sale, and it does seem to make a difference. I hope to be able to get replacements from them, but their website isn't online any more, they don't reply to messages on their facebook page, and I can't get anyone to answer the phone. I would go for some purebred CLB or RIR chicks, or else some of their own POLs if available this Spring.
rick
Part of the Flock

Post by rick » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:04 pm

Thats a pity... but I am crossing everything that my Blacktail wont misfire/break her first egg this year if she lays one at all (a 3yo too.)
I know I haven't had great luck with mine but that has been partly due to learning the lesson not to take on the oddballs from the hard to sell run. My new CLBs were in a batch of young new pullets from Warwickshire Chicken Coop if your ever up this way. They are looking pretty true to standard and are fit as fiddles so far.
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Thats a shame, but good for you not letting her suffer. Hope you get replacements soon
bigyetiman

Post by bigyetiman » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:18 pm

Margaid wrote:Are there any docks full of hard working dock workers? When you see how they shift containers at Felixstowe ...
Probably not, the new DP World at Mucking near Tilbury is virtually automated,no crane drivers. Daughter started work at the new Amazon depot before Christmas and that has more robots than staff
belleisa
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by belleisa » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi everyone
I am still around, just not posted much.
Certainly not had many eggs, even though i had young girls who chose not to lay over the winter.
Just waiting now to buy in some new hatching eggs, once they prove fertile.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:23 am

Hi Belleisa, good to hear from you, I'm glad you're still around. Do keep us up to date with your hatch.
Minorcafan

Post by Minorcafan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:35 pm

I am still here (Not snowed in - yet)

Return to “The Dustbath”