white faced

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Marigold

Re: white faced

Post by Marigold » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:13 pm

Still not sure exactly what it us that you're noticing on the combs and wattles. If it's a whitish bloom, it may well be a fungal infection, in which case garlic would be good, but probably they will need some anti fungal cream as well. You could of course get a vet to prescribe, (and please don't take my word for it as I'm not qualified to advise,) but if you don't want to go down the vet route you might consider an antifungal cream from the chemist, like Daktarin as well.... You need a cream with miconazole in it. Just don't say it's for chickens or they might not sell it to you!
If it is Favus, it's chicken ringworm, and can be contagious to humans as well as spreading to other birds. So take care, wear disposable plastic gloves when handling or treating the birds, and wash hands thoroughly afterwards.
This link might help you diagnose
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/h ... s-mol.html
Any other ideas, folks?
pauloegbirdman
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by pauloegbirdman » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:42 pm

i will see how i get on with the garlic i'll let my brother look at them he has game birds for years there is not a lot he d'not know about them
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:30 pm

Please let us know how you get on.
When did you last worm them with Flubenvet? If you haven't treated with Flubenvet in the past 4-6 months, it would probably be a good idea to give them a course as well. A worm burden will pull them down and reduce their condition, so getting them treated will help them to build up their immune systems and fight off any other health problems. Don't rely on herbal remedies or garlic alone, they don't actually kill worms though they may help as a tonic.
pauloegbirdman

Post by pauloegbirdman » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:10 pm

hi everybody just keeping everybody updated giving them the garlic water getting better brothers been round said there on the mend looking a lot better moved the pens around onto new grass giving them chickweed & dandelion leaves & grass mixed corn & layers not too much though moving pens & building new pens to the back of the garden trying to keep the crowing as far as i can from the neighbours not that i'm bothered i live in a village keep on crowing ha ha :-)17
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:13 pm

I'm glad to hear they're looking better.
Did your brother say what he thought was wrong with them?
pauloegbirdman

Post by pauloegbirdman » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:45 am

just lacking something got 3, 7 month old stag & 2 hens for sale standard silver duckwings for sale if you know anybody who wants them surplus to stock bred from show stock my brother they are a class act

Return to “Chicken's Health”