Greyish brown spots on comb & wattles

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Icemaiden
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Greyish brown spots on comb & wattles

Post by Icemaiden » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:00 pm

Two of my girls have developed greyish brown marks on their combs & wattles. Any idea what the cause could be? They're both still in lay & seem well enough; no sign of mites, lice or anything and no giant hogweed in the field next door, mercifully.
The spots don't look to contain fluid; I've left them alone for now but would like to know the cause.

Any ideas please?
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Re: Greyish brown spots on comb & wattles

Post by chrismahon » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:15 am

We've got loads like that Icemaiden -they've been eating plums and greengages and they are a mess. Seriously though, if it isn't stuff stuck to them it may be something we encountered in England. A mild form of fowl pox. Our Orpington cockerel Basil developed a light brown scab on his comb and it wouldn't respond to any treatment. No-one was pecking it. Strangely enough when we got to France we separated him from the Wyandottes and a few weeks later and the scab had gone, I think because the reduction in stress had boosted his immune system. Perhaps you could give them some tonic or cod liver oil?
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:08 am

OK Chris; I'll give them some Poultry Spice in their layers' pellets for a few days. The third hen now has a couple of spots on her comb too...
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:24 am

I would think it's possibly a fungal infection, Icemaiden. Try Googling Favus in Chickens and see what you think.
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 am

I've taken Marigold's advice & looked up favus and fowl pox online. It looks to have been a mild case of fowl pox; from the photos that I've just seen, I'd say that the girls have got off lightly. The spots are now fading nicely & the hens still seem happy enough apart from the ongoing feather pecking.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:19 pm

Oh, that's good, glad to hear they're OK. Just keep an eye on them in case it resurfaces.

Return to “Chicken's Health”