Ears blocked with gunge - mite or respiratory?

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
MrsBiscuit

Re: Ears blocked with gunge - mite or respiratory?

Post by MrsBiscuit »

That is what I would do in your situation Elmdene. I used to have a middle aged bird who got an ear problem just as you describe from time to time. She was my first ever bird, top hen and my absolute favourite (and the cockeral's!) so I would have done anything for her within reason. Now I am much more experienced and tougher but I would still persevere until/unless the bird was more obviously suffering, because like your girl mine continued to lay and eat and generally be fine in all other respects.

I used to capture her and gently get the stinky ear cheese out everyday with a warm cotton bud and I got hold of some ear drops and used them, but tbh I can't really remember how long I used them for and whether they really worked, but I know she had this problem twice in her life and she did get better. I thought it was a respiratory issue, she used to get it in late winter/spring. She lived on till she was foxed at the age of 6.
BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by BabyBantam »

if it helps, I take all of my girls to the vet together when one goes. They go in a large lidded plastic moving crate with a towel over the top to kep it dark but with good ventilation. they always go to the vet in the afternoon not the morning and have (so far) all been unstressed until they realise its them thats being taken out of the crate to see the vet. they all snuggle down on a bed of sawdust and seem to be happy to chat away to me on the 15min car journey.
Maybe you could take her with a friend to keep her company if & when she needs to go?
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

I've never had any problems taking chickens to the vet, or bringing home new pullets from a breeder. I give each one a separate box, the size that holds 6 wine bottles, which just restrains the bird so she can't move about much or get thrown around. I've made box lid covers from weldmesh which sit on top and are held in place by an elastic rope round the base. She can't see out but can get full ventilation. I fasten the box on the back seat of the car with a seatbelt so it can't move around, and the birds always seem to stay calm.
When we get to the vet I put the box up on the 'cat shelf' in the waiting room so no dogs can sniff it on the floor.
MrsBiscuit

Post by MrsBiscuit »

Yes, if I have to go to the vet, I also pop a bird in a 6 wine bottle cardboard box with some aubiose in the bottom, or a 12 bottle one depending on whether its a girl or a boy and the breed! I cut out oblongs at either short end for ventilation and I can also use these as handles. I also cut a few holes high up along each side for extra ventilation. If you keep a bird in the dark and in quite a confined space so it can't move about it will remain calmer. I use a bit of parcel tape across the top of the box. Then into the car, seatbelt around the box and off you go. I don't reuse the cardboard box, just in case of any cross infection.
elmdene
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by elmdene »

I obviously must buy more wine! I have taken mine to the vet before and once caused much amusement when Basil started crowing in his box in the waiting room! I just feel that as Fluffybum's ears don't appear to be giving her much problem, taking her to the vet is more for my benefit/peace of mind at the moment. It was soooo sweet last night - with the evenings getting lighter the pop hole had closed and locked her out (note to self - change the timer today). When I went out it was already getting quite dark and she was circling the coop trying to work out how to get in, but as soon as she saw me she came running up the garden to me, which was so gratifying that she saw me as being safe, even though I have been poking around in her ears for weeks! Hopefully we are turning a corner as yesterday there were no huge lumps to clean out and it isn't smelly any more, but will keep putting the drops in until it has completely cleared up - hopefully. Interesting that you say your girl got it in winter/spring MrsBiscuit - I am hoping the warmer weather may help too. Fluffybum is only about 18 months so I want to keep her going for a lot longer.
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

That's really good news, glad she's getting better. We could all do with som proper Spring sunshine, I think.

Return to “Chicken's Health”