More problems - Wheezing, sneezing ..help

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Fuzzyfelt123
Forum Contributor / Grower

More problems - Wheezing, sneezing ..help

Post by Fuzzyfelt123 »

:-)06 Feeling rather disheartened now; I have noticed the odd loose runny brown stool but not worried too much as all birds bright and healthy but this afternoon i noticed one of the girls sneezing, and now i have gone to lock the girls in bed and could hear wheezing - i poked my head in and could see one hen perched at the end breathing/wheezing loudly. Is this a cold, should i do anything? Is it the weather? oh boy , i feel out of my depth now :(
Marigold

Re: More problems - Wheezing, sneezing ..help

Post by Marigold »

What sort of bedding do you use in the coop, Fuzzyfelt? If this is at all dusty it can affect their breathing. Also, how much ventilation is there at night? You say you lock them in the coop, so they are then reliant on vents for air amd it's essential that they have lots of it, don't worry about them getting cold.
If you know neither is a problem, then yes, she has a respiratory infection, which should respond to antibiotics if you can take her to the vet ASAP. It 's quite common, and with prompt treatment there's less chance the others will catch it - so long as the coop isn 't stuffy overnight.
Fuzzyfelt123

Post by Fuzzyfelt123 »

I have newspaper under their perches for easy daily clean, and Bliss bedding in their nesting boxes. I have a central 3 " wide vent gap running across the width of the roof, which is then topped with onduline ( so there is plenty of free flow upwards) .....although i haven't put any specific venting lower down, however the coop door/nest boxes have some gaps above them. Maybe more vents needed?
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

That sounds fine, not ventilation or dust problems then. Sounds like a trip to the vet, maybe, then?
BabyBantam
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by BabyBantam »

Pick her up and put your ear to her back. If you can hear wheezing or gurgling when she breathes, she needs a vet. Had the same problem 2 years ago and a course of antibiotics solved it. One thing I have learnt (the hard way) is advice to go to vet should not be ignored :)
Icemaiden

Post by Icemaiden »

Poor Fuzzyfelt, my heart goes out to you and your hens.
Sounds as though you're having quite a baptism of fire? :(
Chickens are a girl's best friend (though diamonds would be nice too!)
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon »

Trip to the vet definitely Fuzzyfelt. Sometimes birds contract illness due to underlying stress (which lowers their resistance) and they just need a helping hand to get them over it. Our Bottom has had the same problem due to the disruption of his move.
Fuzzyfelt123

Post by Fuzzyfelt123 »

thanks for the advice - I have let the other girls out but she has stayed in her run- opening her beak up, neck high; closing her eyes and not interested in food. I'll give the vets a ring :roll:
Marigold

Post by Marigold »

Would it be possible to bring her in, away from the others, until she has had her antibiotics and is on the mend? This would reduce the risk of spreading it to the others in the coop overnight.
Fuzzyfelt123

Post by Fuzzyfelt123 »

The vet seems to think it's gapeworm.........all being treated. She's not got a runny nose, and no further sneezing, just this high neck gaping and wheezing. If i give her water in a syringe it makes a terrible gargling noise, the vet said she may not make it :cry:

Return to “Chicken's Health”