Bumpa beak bits

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.
Willow1234
Forum Contributor / Grower

Re: Bumpa beak bits

Post by Willow1234 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:33 am

Neither have I but its handy having a mum who is a dressmaker.
When its made I'll post a photo.
tygrysek75
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by tygrysek75 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:53 pm

My cocrels are fighting and little bantam orpington is on loosing side as the other is at least twice his size.I need to get hold of them fast and maybe one life will be spared if they work.
The older I get the older old is.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:40 am

Sure they will Tygrysek. They wear through the part in contact with the beak edges in about three months and need replacing before that. We've just had a Buff Orpington who went through a feather eating phase during her moult. The bit is out now after a month and is quite badly worn.
indio-hens
Newcomer / Hatchling

Post by indio-hens » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:24 pm

I have been using Bumpa Bits for a while now and find they work well but being plastic they will brake and you need to keep an close eye on them, also keep an eye on the beak as this can also wear around the but and then render useless.
tygrysek75
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Post by tygrysek75 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:40 pm

I had fited this on my cockrell yesterday evening before bed time, but he seems to have trouble eating with this.Empty crop in the evening before bed today.Have no idea if he was eating during the day as I was away.Do you have any advise on this? Is he going to get used to it and start to eat as he should?If he can't eat suerly he can't preen himself either.Help!
The bumpa bit is put on him correcty.
The older I get the older old is.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:23 pm

Takes them a while to get used to it and they can't preen that well but ours have managed some how and those with the beak bits have feathered up properly. He should start eating tomorrow otherwise you have no option but to remove it for a while and then replace it. I realise it's your last resort.
Kimbab71
Forum Contributor / Grower

Post by Kimbab71 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Just jumping on the back of this thread -
I have 5 hens, 4 of which are being feather pecked really badly by a particular hen. I have bought bumpa bits and decided to fit one tonight. I didn't manage to get it on as I was really worried that it was too tight as she created merry hell when I first put it on.
I've sprayed the other girls in purple spray to deter her pecking, but other than using the bit I don't know what else to do?
Is it possible to rehome her or will she have to be culled? The other 4 girls are a right mess, so I need to do something ASAP. It would be a crying shame to cull her as she is a happy healthy hen, who lays well. Any advice will be greatly received x
rick

Post by rick » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Yet to gain experience of this problem, but expect to soon when mixing two new hens with my three 18 month monsters! But received some interesting advice from the lady at Warks Chicken Coop when I bought some antiseptic spray - " don't spray your whole chickens bum purple. It attracts attention." I was surprised as I had understood that it draws attention away from a wound but the wise lass is very experienced and I guess it's use has sensible limits! An excellent antiseptic by all accounts.
Can you seperate the troublemaker for a while to try to break the habit?
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Post by chrismahon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:50 am

We have a Wyandotte feather pecker at the moment. She pecks at the cockerel while confined to the run so there must be an element of boredom. Once she tasted the blood in his new tail feathers the only way to stop her was a beak bit. Surprisingly she took to it without any problems and his tail feather growth has resumed, although they won't be as nice as they could have been I think. She is 5 years old so you would think she'd have calmed down?

Separation does sometimes work Kimbab71, but to save a lot of wasted effort we fit a beak bit immediately. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post we have culled persistent offenders in the past. After 3 months separation they started again immediately and we didn't know about Bumpa bits.

The length of the bit is important. It must protrude past the end of the beak by at least 3mm. Omlet supply individual 25mm length bits but we have had to buy 30mm bits from Gamekeepa Supplies who sell them to pheasant rearers in quantities of 100.
Marigold

Post by Marigold » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:40 am

Yes, I expect it's like egg eating- learned behaviour which gives some kind of satisfaction, and so can't be cured.

Return to “Chicken's Health”