Hen blocked swollen nostril and just above beak

The place to discuss the health of your chickens.
Forum rules
Please remember the advice offered by people should not constitute a diagnosis and does not replace the advice of a qualified vet.

Hen blocked swollen nostril and just above beak

Postby Brendah » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:27 pm

My little Poland was taken to vet, she thought it could be a foreign body or secondary infection as her nostril was slightly swollen and the skin just above her beak on the same side is swollen. Sent of swabs and sample tissue, put on Baytril for a week and metacam for 5 days but after a week of finishing course the nose is blocked and a bit swollen again..........Vet isn't too sure what it is and was talking about flushing out nose under sedation, which I am not happy about........can you flush out their nose without doing this, Our little hen is a much loved pet and handled a lot, she was marvellous at the vets, she was well impressed with how calm she was.

Anyone any idea what this could be.......she has given the odd small sort of sneeze for ages. Vet checked her eyes and inside mouth and everything is fine.

Many thanks

Brendah
Brendah
Newcomer / Hatchling

Re: Hen blocked swollen nostril and just above beak

Postby Sue » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Hello Brendah and welcome to the forum. Does she have any sort of discharge and is she well apart from this - eating well and poos normal? You said she has been sneezing, has she been vaccinated at all and how old is she?
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
Sue
Regular Forum Contributor / Laying Well

Postby chrismahon » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:22 pm

I would have said a foreign body as there are no other symptoms. Could be a growth in there that is causing irritation. Sneezing could be to clear blockage. If it was Myco she would have bubbly sore eyes.
chrismahon
Forum Guru / Wise Bird

Postby Brendah » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks for quick response and for the welcome.

No she hasn't been vaccinated the she is almost three years old, She has been moulting and has lost weight but she hasn't been eating as much and put this down to moult.....when I say sneezing it is just one "snitch". now and again.

The vet did say it could be a granuloma as this could not be ruled out by swab BUT thought it was more an infection as it responded to the 7 day Baytril.
and the vet said she was using the correct antibiotic according to the lab report.
If it was a foreign body how could it be removed safely.

Thanks again

Brendah
Brendah
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby Sue » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:49 pm

If it responded to the Bayril maybe it needs a longer course? Hopefully someone else with more experience than me will come up with some better advice. Could you maybe post a photo? Or don't you think it would show up very well?
In life not everyone follows the same road. Especially if their Sat Nav is broken!
Sue

Postby Sue » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:39 pm

chrismahon wrote:I would have said a foreign body as there are no other symptoms. Could be a growth in there that is causing irritation. Sneezing could be to clear blockage. If it was Myco she would have bubbly sore eyes.

Chris, my hens with Myco have not had the bubbles in the eyes, neither have their eyes been sore. They had a slightly runny nose and were sneezing.
Sue

Postby Brendah » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:12 pm

Thanks again. Maisie is tucked up in bed but will try to post a picture in the morning but it probably won't show up- will give it a try as I need all the help we can get!!

Brendah
Brendah
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby ncotb » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:51 am

Had a hen with similar symptoms last year, was a sinus infection - aureomycin cleared it.
ncotb

Postby Brendah » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks for information, apparently aureomycin is no longer available!!!!! Vet said put her on metacam for 7 days to see if that helps...if not too happy will put her back on Baytril.....honestly they have little knowledge of birds but charge the same as for cat or dog..
Brendah
Newcomer / Hatchling

Postby Brendah » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:41 pm

how can you post a picture on forum of hen??

??
Brendah
Newcomer / Hatchling

Next

Return to Chicken's Health